PDA

View Full Version : Possible to change fret markers?

duthie
02-20-2017, 07:58 AM
I'm working with a microtonal guitar at the moment, and my octave is at the 19th fret, is it possible to change where the fret markers appear? Being able to save this as a template would be handy for this sort of thing too, though I know this won't be high on your list of priorities. Being able to change where frets are could be useful to - as there are some weird fretboards out there...

And unfortunately there's no recordings of the really weird one, the yellow one can be heard on the album "Flying Microtonal Banana" by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, the extra frets are for quatertones.

Dean
02-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum

I'm afraid this isn't possible in the current version, although, it is something we're looking to add in the future. We're are starting to be made aware of slight differences to fret markers layouts, mainly with Banjo's and Ukulele's but the option would work across all instruments.

As for the Microtonal request; we've had a handful of requests to support Microtonal instruments and whilst it's something we'd like to introduce at some point, I'm afraid it's on the back burner at the moment whilst we concentrate on things that will suit the vast majority of ND users.

Regards
Dean

Dean
02-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Also, just wanted to say a quick 'thank you' for the microtonal fretboard pics. I'm sure they will come in handy we come to understanding the concept of microtonal boards.

The 'Yellow' one seems logical but the 'weird one', as you call it, will likely be beyond the scope of ND. Who knows, never say never.

duthie
02-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Hey Dean, cheers for the reply. I figured it probably wouldn't be high on your list of priorities, I have come up with a work around, just colour the fretboard grey you can't see the markers, then I've put asterisks where the fret markers would go. The only thing I haven't found a solution for yet is fitting the longer interval names into the note block things, "sm3" for sub-minor third doesn't fit nicely and gets cut off a little bit.

Great program though, I never realized that my own guitar teacher had used it for all his stuff but I recognized the diagrams straight away.

Dean
02-23-2017, 02:10 PM
The only thing I haven't found a solution for yet is fitting the longer interval names into the note block things, "sm3" for sub-minor third doesn't fit nicely and gets cut off a little bit.

Unfortunately, the note markers are currently fixed in size and scale with the fretboard. Th bigger the board the big the note marker. Our next version will allow note markers to be scaled separately from the fretboard. You'll also be able to scale individual note markers.

Thanks
Dean

whydavewhy
04-05-2018, 04:45 AM
I second the motion. I purchased "Neck Diagrams" in order to create diagrams for ukulele and 5-string banjo; but the fret dot positions in the app for both ukulele and 5-string banjo are incorrect. (I'm sure there must be other instrument diagrams with incorrect fret dot positions as well, but I have not checked all of them.)

On a Concert Ukulele, the fret dots should be on frets 5, 7, 10 and 12.
On a 5-String Banjo, the fret dots should be on frets 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19 and 22.

The problem with the current version of Neck Diagrams, is that while it gives you the option to use tab diagrams for many different stringed instruments, ALL of them are using the fret dot positions for a guitar. These problems either need to be corrected, or the user needs to be given the ability to re-position the fret dots. Now that I've started to use the app, I see that this issue has existed since the app was created. It has been more than a year since the previous post regarding this on the forum, and it has still not been fixed. Please note that this is technically a "bug" (incorrect markings), and not a "feature request." Your response would be appreciated, as well as an approximate ETA on when these issues will be fixed.

Thanks!