PDA

View Full Version : How to write the notes on a neck in one time?

JulienC
01-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Hello everybody! I'm new here and happy of my purchase. I'm interested in alternate tunings, and I would like to know if it's possible to write all the notes of a neck in one time like in this pic: http://www.neckdiagrams.com/sites/default/files/upload/notes-on-fretboard-up-to-12th-fret.jpg

I know I can do it one note by one note but it's a little boring (moreover I would like to do it for maybe 20 alternate tunings...). The aim is to see the notes of differents alternate tunings, and the different chords I can play on this one or this one.

If it's possible tell me please, if it's not, It could be an interesting update to do ;)

See you!

Julien Consigny

Justin
01-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Hi Julien, welcome to the ND forum!

Currently the easiest way to create notes across all frets is like this:

on a fretboard, create notes across a single fret, e.g. the 1st fret
now select all those notes, easiest way is to right-click on the fretboard and choose 'Select all notes'!
now press and the ALT key and drag the notes across to the next fret, this clones the notes - you now have 2 full frets
now repeat 2 & 3, select all notes again, press ALT and drag - you'll have 4 full frets
you can keep repeating and you'll fill up the fretboard very quickly

You can then copy & paste this fretboard and change the tuning via the Inspector, for your alternate tunings. You could create a page with a number of fretboards like this and then save it so you can then copy & paste the page in the Diagram Gallery too :)

We're adding a feature to make this a little easier in future, so that you can hold down a different key and when clicking a note it will add all the same note across the fretboard, e.g. click a G and all G's will get created. Actually maybe we should have a way to just fill up a fretboard with one click! I'll raise a ticket for that..

Hope I've explained the steps well and that helps you out?!

Cheers & Happy New Year,
Justin

JulienC
01-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Hi Julien, welcome to the ND forum!

Currently the easiest way to create notes across all frets is like this:

on a fretboard, create notes across a single fret, e.g. the 1st fret
now select all those notes, easiest way is to right-click on the fretboard and choose 'Select all notes'!
now press and the ALT key and drag the notes across to the next fret, this clones the notes - you now have 2 full frets
now repeat 2 & 3, select all notes again, press ALT and drag - you'll have 4 full frets
you can keep repeating and you'll fill up the fretboard very quickly

You can then copy & paste this fretboard and change the tuning via the Inspector, for your alternate tunings. You could create a page with a number of fretboards like this and then save it so you can then copy & paste the page in the Diagram Gallery too :)

We're adding a feature to make this a little easier in future, so that you can hold down a different key and when clicking a note it will add all the same note across the fretboard, e.g. click a G and all G's will get created. Actually maybe we should have a way to just fill up a fretboard with one click! I'll raise a ticket for that..

Hope I've explained the steps well and that helps you out?!

Cheers & Happy New Year,
Justin

Hi! Thank you very much! I don't understand all of your purpose but I think I understand 90% ahah (I'm not an English native). I finally realised that doing it note by note is not so boring. Moreover, I have as you said a page with six fingerboard full of notes, and when I change the tuning some notes are "shifted" (there is a feature for this you know) so I haven't to write all the note of the fingerboard (sometimes half, sometimes just 10... Depends of the tuning). I'll keep exploring other option (as copy/paste notes as you suggest). Thank you ;) And happy new year to you too!

Dean
01-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Hi Julian

Moreover, I have as you said a page with six fingerboard full of notes, and when I change the tuning some notes are "shifted" (there is a feature for this you know) so I haven't to write all the note of the fingerboard (sometimes half, sometimes just 10... Depends of the tuning).

If I'm understadning corectly - you change the tuning and some notes on the fretbaord dissappear, sometime half the notes and sometimes 10? That doesn't sound good or am I misinterpretting the issue.

If there is a problem perhaps you could upload two screenshots? One picture of the fretboard before you change tuning and one immediately after.

Thanks
Dean

JulienC
01-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Hi Julian

If I'm understadning corectly - you change the tuning and some notes on the fretbaord dissappear, sometime half the notes and sometimes 10? That doesn't sound good or am I misinterpretting the issue.

If there is a problem perhaps you could upload two screenshots? One picture of the fretboard before you change tuning and one immediately after.

Thanks
Dean

No It's okay, It just if there a neck in the standard tuning full on the notes and I change the tuning according to this new one some notes will be shifted (the software ask me If I want the notes/the intervals to be the same or not), they don't exactly disappeared.

Here are three pics to illustrate the process:

Justin
01-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Ah well I'd suggest you're clicking the wrong option on the question dialog! In your case, you don't want any notes to move when changing the tuning - surely you want them all to stay where you put them, on every fret on every string!? Then you wouldn't have to go and add those back again that got shifted.

Moving the notes would potentially be useful if you had e.g. chords then you could see where the notes go up/down the strings..

JulienC
01-06-2018, 08:19 PM
Ah well I'd suggest you're clicking the wrong option on the question dialog! In your case, you don't want any notes to move when changing the tuning - surely you want them all to stay where you put them, on every fret on every string!? Then you wouldn't have to go and add those back again that got shifted.

Moving the notes would potentially be useful if you had e.g. chords then you could see where the notes go up/down the strings..

Well you are totally right! So it will be easier to me now. It's maybe the french translation which is a little confusing. The right option says : "don't move the notes". So I choose the other option as I want the notes to change for the new tuning... But finally while choosing the right option the notes change in the right way (regarding to the new tuning I want). Si it's okay!

An other day I'll ask some questions about the library of instruments/tuning, I have some difficulties with it. Thank you for your attention!

Dean
01-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Hi Julian - glad Justin's advice has resolved the issue. We'll take a look at the French translation in the dialogue.

As for questions regarding the Instrument/Tuning: by all means ask away but we have a short video on this topic over on our Youtube channel that may help. Link below

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxhZNI_LtME

Thanks
Dean