PDA

View Full Version : Note Colors

Coyote
11-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Suppose I would like to enter a group of black notes, and then enter a different group of blue notes in the same fretboard. I can't figure out how to do this. I know how to change the color of the second group after I add them, but when I first add them they are black and I have to select the ones I want to change among all the black ones and this gets tedious and error-prone. I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me how to set a different color for the next group of notes. Thanks!

Dean
11-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Hi there

That is the correct method in the current version. The note markers are drawn with the default colour set by the user but can be changed once drawn. You can save time by changing multiple note markers at once

hold the SHIFT key whilst selecting all the note markers
once you've selected all of the note markers you wish to edit press CTRL+I to reveal the inspector
you can then use the Override Colour option to change them all

BTW, a future version will allow users to set default colours on a per-interval basis.

Regards

Coyote
11-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Thanks Dean!

Justin
11-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Actually, Coyote, you can do what you want and change the default note colour before you create new notes, so the new ones use your new colour choice..

You change the defaults in the Preferences, just go into the Fretboard > Colours section and change the "Note marker" default..

Also, adding to Dean's post, you might find it useful to use the "Select all..." option when you right click a note marker, so you can quickly make it select all C's for example!

Coyote
11-06-2018, 11:03 PM
Thanks Justin ... I tried this. I added several black notes to a fretboard. Then I changed the default note color to blue in preferences, hitting 'apply' and 'save'. I tried adding blue notes to the same fretboard and the new ones are still black. I saw somewhere that the change in preferences only applies to new fretboards - not existing fretboards. Adding notes to a new fretboard gives me blue notes ok, but apparently does not apply to an existing fretboard with black notes. Seems like I must use Dean's method.

Justin
11-08-2018, 10:52 PM
I saw somewhere that the change in preferences only applies to new fretboards - not existing fretboards.

Oops yes that's quite right - sorry about the wild goose chase! I should know better, I'll blame the lack of sleep (1 & 3yo kids!) :o

Hopefully the Select all (note name/interval) options will help speed things up though..

Coyote
11-08-2018, 11:36 PM
Oops yes that's quite right - sorry about the wild goose chase! I should know better, I'll blame the lack of sleep (1 & 3yo kids!) :o

Hopefully the Select all (note name/interval) options will help speed things up though..

No problem Justin .. I learned something along the way so it's all good.

I decided I can put in all the alternate color notes first, select all, and change the color. Then I can add the remaining black notes and I'm done. Would love to be able to select different colors on the fly while I am adding notes if you ever think about adding that someday.

Thanks for all your help. Give the kids a hug and get some sleep ;-)