PDA

View Full Version : String Gauge for Mandolin Neck using Windows

karmar
05-21-2019, 11:43 AM
I would like to have thick strings on the bottom of my mandolin neck and thin on the top in my scale diagram as a way to make my diagrams more realistic. (Like the gauges show up as "default" in the guitar neck) I see that there is a special option for adjusting string gauge in the Mac version in the online help, but I cant find the corresponding option in my Windows version. Does it exist for Windows?

(By the way - I LOVE THIS PROGRAM! I have been making my own maps to help me learn mandolin. What used to take me a couple hours now takes me 1-2 minutes! My only complaint is that I wish I had known about this program some years ago... I have wasted so many hours over the years!!!)

Justin
05-21-2019, 11:16 PM
Hi karmar,

String gauge adjustment is also available on Windows, it's on the first fretboard tab just under the Starting fret option; you can see it in the screenshot below actually.

HOWEVER! what you really want is to flip the string order - which you can do by selecting the fretboard and checking the option Flip strings on horizontal fretboard. I'm including a screenshot showing you where to find this..

Ordinarily you should also be able to set a default for this in Preferences (so you could have your fretboards flipped like this by default) but it looks like we've omitted this somehow :o so I'll raise a ticket to get it added!

https://www.neckdiagrams.com/images/forums/ND2-flip-strings.png

karmar
05-21-2019, 11:54 PM
Hi Justin - Thanks for your response! Regarding the string gauge option you mentioned - this works for the guitar neck as you show in your screen shot, but on the mando neck it just has the lowest string a bit thicker and all the rest are just the slender lines. It would really be nice if the 4 strings on "MANDO DEFAULT" looked like the four lowest strings in your guitar neck shot (instead of having just one thick string and 3 thin ones).

(And thanks for noticing the preferences default for horizontal - I had not noticed this omission since all the necks I have done so far have been vertical)

(Also thanks again for this FANTASTIC program! When I was learning 7 string guitar, I made pages and pages of chord charts using Microsoft word - VERY tedious - I wish I had looked into this program before doing all that work! WHY DIDNT I DO A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR FRET DIAGRAM SOFTWARE?!!! I would go back and redo them all, but happily, I have now learned those chord forms and dont need the charts for 7 string guitar any more - but I critically need them for learning the mando - this has already been SO helpful!!!)

karmar
05-22-2019, 12:00 AM
Here is a screen shot of the default string gauges for mando. Notice the modestly thick string for the low G, then all the rest are measly generic thin strings... Can you fix it so it looks like the low four on guitar?

Justin
05-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Aha ok - shame I didn't try it on a mando!!

I'll raise a ticket for this - probably will need to introduce a checkbox for the Default option to start drawing the strings from the thickest and not the thinnest..