PDA

View Full Version : Transposing the entire neck

karmar
06-09-2019, 10:56 AM
All of my diagrams are for 12 frets. Let’s say I have an A Harmonic Minor Scale, but I need a C harmonic minor. It would be nice if I could just take my A harmonic minor scale and transpose it to C Harmonic Minor. But the transpose function does not do this for the entire neck – it just moves things up or down frets. So I always end up having to create the entire scale again for the new key. AGAIN – THanks for a fantastic program!

Dean
06-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Hi Karmar

Do you mean all of your diagrams only show frets 1 to 12 only and you want to show each scale over this range only? Or should some scale automatically go beyond the 12th fret on transposed?

If you use the transpose tool to move from Am to Cm (3 frets) you'll end up with nothing displayed on frets 1, 2 and 3. In this instance, you just need to manually add the few missing note markers.

Another option is to simply use the Scale Generator and just change the key. The SG would have saved your last scale choice, fret range etc. so it's only a couple of clicks.

If you want to shift everything up so the fretboard starts 3 frets higher (as in this example), you need to check the 'Adjust fretboard start up / down to match'. This will keep the fretboard to 12 frets long.

Hope that helps. Feel free to send a screenshot if I've misunderstood.

karmar
06-14-2019, 01:03 AM
Hi Justin - Thanks for your reply - you understood exactly the issue... I have been using Scale Generator as you suggested and as you note it IS just a few extra clicks - Not really a big deal, just trying to keep you busy and out of trouble... : )

Dean
06-18-2019, 04:26 PM
No problem. Glad to hear my suggestion speeds things up a bit.

BTW, we're always busy (with ND) and always in trouble (with our families for the time we spend on ND) ;)