PDA

View Full Version : Colour and Shape Conventions

epichord
06-14-2019, 02:55 AM
Hi guys,

as someone new to presenting scales and chords using technology more sophisticated than graph paper and pencils I would like your thoughts on what conventions exist to help me have a consistent approach to labeling my diagrams.

Clearly ND supports colour and shape for any note and the default colour scheme allocates bold red to Root notes which is obvious and sensible.

I first wanted to add colour when studying the Blue Note added to pentatonic scales I already knew and wanted to track the patterns horizontally on the neck as part of "getting out of the boxes" practice.

Hence I selected all my b5 notes and hit them up with a nice blue colour. So far so good.

In other practice I found I wanted to be able to visualise my p3 and p5 intervals so considered adding a dark green for p3 and dark blue for p5. I've seen this done with diamonds and squares on charts around the net and just wondered if there was any guidance on this that has any basis beyond personal taste and subjective utility.

Another instance I ended up mulling over was in chord diagrams where open strings are used. I have applied the black X and Hollow Dots (with "Draw notes/intervals on open strings" checked) for the open strings and would apply the same shape and colour convention I adopt elsewhere for consistency. The hollow circle and X seems to make sense due to the conventions on Tab.

Here is a sample of my meddling for two D chords.

Once I ended up with this scale diagram I began to feel that I was over complicating it with the shapes and colours (but anyway that's how to learn the software anyway!).

I would like to settle on a shape and colour for most of my important intervals so I can have a consistent approach to my self study. This is not to do with tutoring or anything - just a student looking to develop a sensible and practical system for himself.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Dean
06-18-2019, 05:28 PM
Hi there

Firstly, what a polite, civil post towards the ND community that genuinely asks for both feedback and advice.

We receive a lot of requests asking for tools to replicate the formatting of a preferred publisher, tutor, guitar mag, college, etc. More than those that ask how they should format things - at least that's my perception.

If you have no preferred platform for resources and their formatting, I would say go with what makes sense to you. There are many, many variants or 'industry standards' out there. Whilst the same chord and scale shapes are regurgitated over and over, I'd say black and white publications still outweigh coloured formats.

Go with what feels right for you. And you don't have to be a software genius here. Because you're designing the material for you, you're much more likely to understand the content when you come to read it back.

I hope that helps

epichord
06-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Thank you Dean for your advice.
I'm in danger of over complicating here I think.
I'll stick to the KISS principle and focus on the music and allow the system to emerge as I go in that case.
The software strikes a great balance. Cheers!

Hi there

Firstly, what a polite, civil post towards the ND community that genuinely asks for both feedback and advice.

We receive a lot of requests asking for tools to replicate the formatting of a preferred publisher, tutor, guitar mag, college, etc. More than those that ask how they should format things - at least that's my perception.

If you have no preferred platform for resources and their formatting, I would say go with what makes sense to you. There are many, many variants or 'industry standards' out there. Whilst the same chord and scale shapes are regurgitated over and over, I'd say black and white publications still outweigh coloured formats.

Go with what feels right for you. And you don't have to be a software genius here. Because you're designing the material for you, you're much more likely to understand the content when you come to read it back.

I hope that helps