PDA

View Full Version : How to create a diagram with note names (chromatic scale)

scalawag
04-06-2020, 06:39 AM
I am looking to do something like this with one main difference
https://www.neckdiagrams.com/features/notes-on-the-guitar

I would like to create two diagrams, one with sharp accidentals and one with flat accidentals.

I have a lesson next Thursday. Help would be appreciated.

Justin
04-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Hi scalawag,

Here's how you can do that, first for the sharp notes:

create a horizontal fretboard (by default shows frets 1-12)
in the Inspector, in the Note Markers sections set the Labels option to Notes
create notes on each string across the first fret
use the Select All Notes function (Edit menu, right click or SHIFT+CTRL+A keyboard shortcut)
hold down the ALT key and drag the notes to next fret, to create clones - you now have 12 notes
do Select All Notes again
again hold down the ALT key then click & drag the notes over to the next frets - you now have 24 notes across 4 frets
repeat until you've got all the notes you need
you'll probably find all notes are # apart from Bb - select one of them and in the Inspector set the Note to A# to change it's enharmonic, then click "Apply to fretboard" just below so all Bb show as A#
in the Key option, change the key signature to "Cb major/Ab minor" and all sharp notes will become flat!
in the Key option, change the key signature to "Cb major/Ab minor" and all sharp notes will become flat!

And to create another with the flat notes..

copy/paste the fretboard (or use the ALT+click/drag trick used above for the notes!)
with the fretboard selected, in the Inspector select the last tab "..." (for Other options)