PDA

View Full Version : Representing Harmonics?

slotzero
07-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Hey everyone - great software! I just registered for the Pro version to use for my teaching.

Anyway, is there a good way to represent harmonics on the fretboard?

Thanks!

Anthony

Justin
08-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi Anthony,

I guess the best way to represent harmonics would be to use the diamond shaped markers. Diamonds are used on TAB iirc so using the same shape will associate the note with a harmonic!

Justin
Author of Neck Diagrams

fonnet
12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
There is one problem though: the note name is the one of the fretted note. You have to customize the note label. And also, if you want to indicate multiple harmonics in the space between 2 frets, you can't.

Maybe if the diamond shapes were moveable?

Regards and thanks again for your awesome software!

Justin
12-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Actually I have a ticket already raised in the tracking system for this:

"Add ability to specify note is harmonic and allow to be placed anywhere on string" :D

My thinking is that a checkbox setting "Is harmonic" would be what's needed? Like the root note option on the Note tab in the Inspector. Then you'd be allowed to move the harmonic note wherever you want. Plus you could use whatever marker shape you want for the harmonic too.

ND could probably work out the note name/interval based on the location of the harmonic (based on the subdivision of the octave? I'll have to do some research!). Given the note name for the string and the position on the fret it should be possible to calculate, right? Any info/links appreciated :o

I hadn't twigged about allowing >1 between frets so thanks for pointing that out - will add that nugget to the ticket...

fonnet
12-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Actually I have a ticket already raised in the tracking system for this:

"Add ability to specify note is harmonic and allow to be placed anywhere on string" :D

My thinking is that a checkbox setting "Is harmonic" would be what's needed? Like the root note option on the Note tab in the Inspector. Then you'd be allowed to move the harmonic note wherever you want. Plus you could use whatever marker shape you want for the harmonic too.

It would be great!

ND could probably work out the note name/interval based on the location of the harmonic (based on the subdivision of the octave? I'll have to do some research!). Given the note name for the string and the position on the fret it should be possible to calculate, right? Any info/links appreciated :o

I hadn't twigged about allowing >1 between frets so thanks for pointing that out - will add that nugget to the ticket...

This site have a nice printing function for a complete harmonic map for many stringed instruments:
http://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/

Look into the "harm" tab > "show all".

And on this one, you have it all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_harmonics

Regards.

Justin
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I found the Wikipedia page too and I added it to the ticket, so that should give me all the info I need! I need to make the app do the calculations then harmonics and their correct names will be available for ANY instrument!