PDA

View Full Version : Resonator "slide"

mhackney
05-13-2021, 05:29 PM
I'm just learning ND and play the resonator guitar (aka Dobro). Is there a way to show the bar/slide/steel that we use to fret the chords? The connecting lines are "ok" but don't really convey the way the bar is slanted to play a slant chord.

Related to this, it would be nice to be able to position the markers right over a fret line rather than to the left of the line.

Justin
05-19-2021, 02:41 PM
Hi mhackney,

I suggested on your other post (https://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/showthread.php/1327-Display-Bar-Slide) that you could make the lines thicker, but yes that's not quite the same!

You can use the capo/barre tool to make a solid full or partial barre across the fretboard - but it can't be used for slant chords I'm afraid.

Maybe I should enhance this tool to allow it to be used across different frets.. The main issue would be what should the legend show when set to show note names? Currently it'll show the note names created by the barre (e.g. partial across 3rd fret, strings 4-3-2 would show notes F, Bb, D in the legend) - but what notes should be shown when the slide is part way across a fret? Maybe this is an easy question to answer for a slide player?!

Related to this, it would be nice to be able to position the markers right over a fret line rather than to the left of the line.

There's an option "Place note markers by fret wires", although the effect is most noticeable when the frets are quite wide. I've got a dev ticket for an option to place the notes on the fret wires so I'll log your vote for that!

mhackney
05-19-2021, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. Here is a mockup of how I think it would look. The user would position the bar and slant. Then one of two things could happen:
1) easy - the user positions markers on the strings they care about. These would be the same markers and behaviors as what already exists
2) more useful - the software automatically positions markers at fret crossings. The software knows that there are 2 string or 3 string slants so this should be possible.

The above is most useful if the bar and markers can be position exactly over the fret (or slanted) rather to the side like a capo is positioned. This is related to "place on fret wires" request. Thanks!