PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself here!

Justin
08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi all!

I thought it'd be good to have a thread where new folks could just pop in and say Hi and maybe add a few words about themselves..

So, please take a few minutes and introduce yourself :D

hendrix_nz
09-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi,
My name is Chris. I'm from a small town in NZ called Hokitika. I've been playing the guitar since I was 12 and now teach guitar for a living.

mwynwood
09-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi everyone - I'm Marcus.
I use Neck Diagrams heaps with my guitar students.

Javi
09-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Hi, I´m Javi from Valencia, Spain. This software helps me in my skill level. Hope this forum also do.

Stringtheorist
09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Hi. Craig from Huntingdon, UK. I teach guitar for a living and find Neck Diagrams invaluable.

Merkava
10-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi my name is Merkava and I am looking forward to a sharing experience with everyone. I'm an intermediate level guitarist.
Glad to join you all.

Jbobbe
10-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Hello My name is Jon. I am from Naperville, IL (Just outside Chicago). I use Neck Diagrams for illustrating chords, and scales for my students. Great product! I love it!

Merkava
10-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Thank you Jon,
My name is Shmuel.I use the product,now, for self advancement.Later,I hope to teach,if I make it to that. I'm happy to share ideas. I wrote Justin about a few things which I think would save us a lot of time.Like punching in all notes of any interval all over the fretboard at once instead of plugging them in individually etc.I love the program,and have made a few good diagrams of inverse chords.

To our success! Pleased to hear from you.
Shmuel.

PosterBoy
10-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi I'm Matt,

I hang out at Truefire, TGP, Rig-Talk and HRI, I should spend less time on the net and more time with my hands on a guitar.

I love neck diagrams, great for plotting ideas on a fretboard, putting tabbed lines onto the fretboard to get general shape.

fngrman10
10-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi I'm Jeff and i purchased the software last night. How can I also donload it to my laptop without buying it again? Thanks.

Jeff

Justin
10-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Hi Jeff,
You just need to download it to your laptop (via the download link (http://www.neckdiagrams.com/download/)), install it then run it and click on the Help > Register menu enter your license code (copy/paste is easiest) into the window that opens up.

This is actually described in more detail in the FAQ (http://www.neckdiagrams.com/support/faq#register) (<-link!), if you need it! And also in the purchase confirmation email :) I guess you bought from within the app, rather than the website hence the confusion?

Snapper
11-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Maurice a boring old fart and ex. pro. motor cycle racer from the 60's & 70"s. Started playing Ukelele when i was nine, progressed to Guitar at 12. Smashed my arm and several bones in my hand in 67 and stopped playing. Now I've started again and found neck diagrams searching Goggle. Best bit of kit I've come across. Done more for me in 72 hrs. than in the last 3 months.

Thanks Justin.

Justin
11-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Welcome on board Maurice and thanks for the kind words :) Very sorry to hear about the arm/hand, hopefully more guitar playing will be good for it?

BTW very cool pic of you in tux with guitar at http://winerider.com/, what a heartbreaker! :D

wvgman
01-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Hello everyone,
My name is Ron and I live in West Virginia, USA. I first bought Neck Diagrams to help me learn things for myself. I started teaching two students this past summer and ND has been a Super Tool that makes that task so much easier. Great product & company with a pretty cool fellow running it.

Justin
02-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Hey Ron,
That's cool to hear you've started teaching! Wish I had the time to play more, let alone teach ;)
Thanks for the kind words :)

musikman
03-21-2012, 11:39 PM
My name is Stephen and I also enjoy using neck diagrams. It's a great tool for teachers and students. I have been a student of guitar for more than 30years and will be for my lifetime. I will be using neck diagrams as one of the tools to help me create original lessons for guitar, theory and bass. Nice to meet you all and looking forward to helping and learning from each other.

Justin
04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I have been a student of guitar for more than 30years and will be for my lifetime.

That's a fantastic sentiment Stephen! Can't remember who the philosopher was but there's a quote along the lines of "The only thing we can be sure to know is what we don't know"!

It's a pretty daunting thought really - something I think intermediate guitarists (like myself) probably need to contend with most as I think there's a point you realise that you've progressed quite a way but as you gain more knowledge you realise just how much more there is to learn!

claham
06-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi, I'm Claes from Gothenburg Sweden.

I came across this software on the fractalaudio forum. It was just what I needed for making material for lessons. I'm not a professional, just a lifelong student of guitar and music who now happens to teach some younger ones.

I am really happy with ND. Thanks!

arp
06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi,

I'm french and I teach guitar & bass for 4 years (mainly guitar) with students aged from 7 to more than 60 years old. I looked for a tool like Neck Diagrams for a while before to discover it by chance.

Justin
06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi guys, good to have you on board :)
Hope you enjoy the new features in the recent v1.9 release!

PurpleTiger
06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Hey everyone, I'm Dan, and I run a site called Purple Tiger Guitar (http://purpletigerguitar.com/), named after my beloved ESP. I've played many styles over the years in a number of bands, but these days I prefer to concentrate on rock/metal/shred playing. I've been using Neck Diagrams for about a year, use it extensively on my site, and enjoy it a great deal!

Justin
06-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Welcome Dan,
Nice to have to you over here! Is the ESP purple tiger the George Lynch model? Used to lust over one of those back in the day :) I actually had a cheapo orange tiger Aria Pro II which I'm ashamed to say I stripped of its paint job in the early 90's when shred went out of fashion :(

jepi
01-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Hello! Excellent software and nice to be here, cool forum.

Cheers,

Jepi.

Dean
01-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Hi Jepi

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the kind words.

Regards
Dean

Grey Karma
02-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm Mark from Ireland.

Dean
02-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Hi Mark

Welcome to the ND forum.

Who's you favourite axeman then? Edge, Moore, Gallagher or none of the above? ;)

Dean

Grey Karma
02-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Hi Dean,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I certainly like all those guitarists you have mentioned. My current favourite guitarist though is Greg Howe and his new Carvin signature guitar looks great. I think it will be my next major purchase. I have just recently transcribed his version of 'Sunny' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edVbz_uXJd0
I currently play an American Deluxe Fender Strat, white sparkle with brown pickguard. It's a gorgeous guitar, I purchased it in 2009.

Another amazing Irish guitar virtuoso you may like to check out (if you like Jazz) is Louis Stewart. He's self taught and absolutely incredible.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNo-lX4K9EQ
If you like modern acoustic virtuosos such as Andy McKee then you should check out one of the fore runners of that style Irish Virtuoso Eric Roche (RIP). Check out this video where he explains the evolution of his percussive techniques https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdcQyOEnHv8

Which guitarist(s) do you like?

Enjoy,
Mark

Dean
02-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Hi Mark

Electric wise - I guess I'm a bit of mainstream fanboy, all the obvious greats of past and present. Probably because I gig quite a lot in covers bands and I'm always teaching those styles / songs.

Acoustic wise - I like Andy McKee and bought a few of his scores a couple years back. But I only got halfway through nailing Drifting before my daughter came along a practice time reduced dramatically, lol. Would love to get Rylynn and his version of Everybody Wants to Rule the World down.

One guy I REALLY like at the minute is Luca Stricagnoli. Check out his song The Future www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMQVyGOZylg

Cheers
Dean

Grey Karma
02-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Hey Dean,

That video of Luca is really great. Is that a style of playing you would like to try? Time permitting!

Mark

RussPa53
02-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Hi Everyone -
Russ from North Carolina in the US here - this program is something I've been looking for for years. Great to have found it! Looking forward to sharing guitar. :)

Dean
02-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Hey Dean,

That video of Luca is really great. Is that a style of playing you would like to try? Time permitting!

Mark

Hi Mark

Would certainly like to sit down and learn that one given a chance, I've already bought the score from him. Well, from the Candy Rat site. Knowing my luck I'll end up splicing my finger on the sardine tin lid he uses for that percussive sound :eek:

Dean
02-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Hi Everyone -
Russ from North Carolina in the US here - this program is something I've been looking for for years. Great to have found it! Looking forward to sharing guitar. :)

Hi Russ

Glad you found ND and welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing your work.

Regards
Dean

The Grey Strummer
02-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Hi ....
My name is Phil....I am a 58 year old male who has added learning the guitar to his "bucket list"....and enjoying it very much!!

Dean
03-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Hi Phil

Welcome to the ND forum. Have a look around and check out some of the work other users have shared.

Regards
Dean Cross

The Grey Strummer
03-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks Dean .....

dalepres
03-19-2015, 04:21 AM
Hi all. Dale here. After spending a day manually creating shapes and pieces to put together my own fretboard images, and not having something nearly as professional as what comes from Neck Diagrams, I found this tool and tried it. In minutes I knew I'd be buying it but I was having so much fun using it that I waited until tonight to get it.

Well, I started to get it last night but got a certificate error from KAGA in the in-app purchase page and, with no toolbar or address bar in the browser window I cancelled out and went back through the neckdiagrams.com website tonight. That worked better.

The Neck Diagrams app is awesome. I started using it and was thinking of several enhancements. For instance, what if I could color a note half-and-half with two colors like I had done manually? Then I found how to do it. Or what if I could put a custom label and I found how to do it. If only I could make more strings - and then I found it. If only I could make the strings all the same thickness in my diagram - and then I did. This was generally the pattern all the way through. Everything I wanted to do, the application let me do.

I have posted a few feature suggestions in the features forum but they're minor compared to all the great features that I wanted and found already there in Neck Diagrams.

Thanks for offering a great tool.

Dean
03-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Hi Dale

Welcome to the forum and thank you for both the kind words and suggestions.

I'll be responding to your other posts / feature requests shortly.

Thanks
Dean

dalepres
03-20-2015, 01:50 AM
Thanks, Dean. Did you approve my post in this thread? It looks like you replied but I don't see the post anywhere.

coastsideguitar
08-31-2015, 08:17 AM
Hi there,

My name is Robert and I am in the process of rewriting my web site using Neck Diagrams 1.10. Having fun using a great program and seeing my ideas come alive. Before ND, I created diagrams using mono-type fonts. Very ugly and my students really couldn’t read them. Anyway if you would like to check out what I’ve put online, go here:

www.for-guitar-players-only.com

Bye for now,
Robert

Dean
09-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Hi Robert

Thank you sharing. Great to here ND is proving such a useful tool for your website.

I immediately learned something new on your site as I've never come across Flee and Flev before, lol. I'll have to look at this technique a little further at some point.

Regards
Dean

pmdelao
09-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Hello Everyone,
My name is Phillip and I live in California. I currently teach guitar. I purchased this software to scale and chord charts.

coastsideguitar
09-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Hi Dan please do, I would welcome your impressions and feedback.

The whole floo, flee, flive flix, flev and shore idea came about when I was looking for a way to help unite my ear, mind and fingers. At first I tried the Do Re Mi technique but it did not show the function of the note relative to tonic and they did not sound like their function.

Ascending
Do Di Re Ri Mi Fa Fi Sol Si La Li Ti Do

Descending
Do Ti Te La Le Sol Se Fa Mi Me Re Ra Do

Anyway, while trying to say flat-three real quick flee came out instead. The whole functional sound system came about very quickly after that.

You can learn more about them on my site under functional sounds.

Robert
www.for-guitar-players-only.com

Dean
09-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Hello Everyone,
My name is Phillip and I live in California. I currently teach guitar. I purchased this software to scale and chord charts.

Hi Phillip

Welcome to the ND forum.

I think we've got quite a fe users from California now. Maybe one year the ND team can head over that way for Winter NAMM :D

Regards
Dean

arcataman
02-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm Robert a guitar player like you. I use ND to teach functional sounds for guitar players. You can check it out here.
http://www.fretboardfreedomforguitar.com

Functional sounds help you hear what you play and likewise, play what you hear.

Dean
02-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Hi Robert - welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing the link, I'll be sure to take a look into functional sounds.

Dean

arcataman
02-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Thanks Dean,

Taking the advice from my teacher to sing what you play while playing lead or fills. So I used to just sing la la la or something but got the idea that it would give me more detailed information about the notes I'm singing. To help me, I came up with the functional sounds set for the chromatic scale and used them to create functional sound scale-arpeggio patterns. The are no relative relationships used on parallel (thinking chord to chord and playing off the matching chord-tone arpeggios) Anyway, enough said. Robert

Johnland
03-28-2017, 08:21 PM
My name is John, and I'm a private instructor who uses Neck Diagrams on a daily basis. While I'm not new to the forums here, I figured I should at least join in the introduction sticky!

I've spent an absurd number of hours using this awesome software, and have even landed some paid work helping folks chart out chords and scales.

A big thank you to the ND team, rock on!

LessonsWithAustin
04-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Hi I'm Austin from Deer Park (Houston) TX!
I own and teach at LessonsWithAustin.com - always making cool diagrams with ND! Thanks

salvovulcan
05-31-2017, 01:01 PM
hello my name is Salvo, I'm trying to learn guitar.
just buy neck diagram hoping will be helpful to improve learnig saving time

TGAguitar
08-31-2017, 01:36 AM
Hi Everyone, I'm John I own and operate Thornleigh Guitar Academy in Sydney, Australia been open since 2003

Dean
08-31-2017, 09:35 PM
Hi John and welcome to the ND Forums.

Wow! Opened in 2003 and still going strong, great stuff.

I hope ND is saving you time spent on lesson preparation and providing some precious extra minutes/hours that's needed to run a business. For us teachers, work doesnt stop when the lesson ends.

All the best
Dean & The ND Team

Mario N.
12-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Hi, my name is Mario. Live in New York and looking forward to learn tips and tricks here.

Dean
12-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Hi Mario - Welcome to the ND forum. New York, New York - I'd love to go one day.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Dean & The ND Team

DCIHS
03-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Hi, everyone! Been using ND for quite some time now (thought I had introduced myself when I first got it, but apparently not, LOL), and I absolutely love it. I remember having to use MS-Powerpoint or MS-Word to try to create chord diagrams, and it was just so tedious. When I heard about ND, I immediately downloaded the demo, and seeing what the software does, and how it would make my life a LOT easier, I decided to buy it. This software just makes creating chord diagrams so easy! I just upgraded to ND2, and it will take me a little bit of time (not much, though) to get accustomed to it. Great new features and interface! Looking forward to be a participant in the forums here!

willy
06-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Hi,
I am William from France.(so my english is not the best)

I play drum & percs,Bass,guitar & piano.
Piano:7 to 14 years old (classical)
Guitar then
Bass since 10 years
Finally had played in a reggae group for 4 years to keyboards (synthé)

My influences are all the Music.
I started the guitar with métallica and then many rock standards then a lot of funk & blues i was a big fan of Satch & Vai.
Now i am in Gypsy jazz and so i plan to do a méthod with ND ;)
Also i 'll start soon a funk band with the guitar (with the ancient reggae players i used to play ^^)

About ND and alternatives:
I have tried since win xp all the alternative to ND because i am geek for this kind of software :p

Have tried the ND v1 démo long time ago but i didn't liked it.
So i have bought virtual fretboard: not bad but not color coded and i love the color coded diagrams.

Then i found this one: guitar tools from roll on buddy.

Good! but not so complete as ND for sure!

So with all this years making some diagrams,copy paste them and spend a lot of time i have tried to make a pdf.
But i have seen ND v2 coming so i have tried the démo (missed the launch discount )
And i spent one weeks to do all sort of stuff with a big smile on my face.
It's been long time since i have enjoyed so much a software!

I use MAC & win so it's perfect for me i have seen guitar layers for mac only and it seems good but ND is more complete.

By the way i make some good stuff with the démo limitations i 'll share them so demo user can try them (cause i think it's very good to open ND project from web.) if you put them on the ND ressource page.

epichord
06-14-2019, 02:10 AM
G'day all, Will here an expat Aussie in Singapore for the moment.

I'm getting back into guitar, focusing on blues and a disciplined approach to practice and technique. This is after a break from really trying to improve as a "stalled" intermediate player for many years.

I found this tool as I started to reconstruct my scales, chord shapes and other theory stuff from the ground up on grid paper, instead of just relying on pre-existing charts and diagrams.

My fresh approach to learning is to tackle all my shapes and learning by applying theory as I learn it from first principles.

Love the software and have many questions already about how to use it properly, which I hope to find answers to here already or will post for discussion.

This approach of building my knowledge up from the basics, by applying the theory to the neck and drawing it myself, has already paid off in many ways so I am super keen to capitalise on this awesome tool!

Cheers,
Will

Kai
12-04-2019, 12:51 AM
My name is Kai. I'm a flamenco player and I teach a lot, plus I have a website called Flamenco Explained, so I need to get better at making materials for all of my students. I'm ok at getting around the basics of Neck Diagrams, but definitely deficient on the whole layout side of things. Look forward to learning from you guys!
Cheers,
Kai

Jason Brian Merrill
01-14-2020, 03:22 PM
Hey there :) I am a musician and instructor from northeastern PA :)

benrayburn
07-13-2020, 01:30 AM
Hey guys! Ben here from Seattle. Thanks for having me.

Justin
07-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Welcome everyone! Hope you're all staying safe too :)

vripley
07-15-2020, 04:51 PM
Allow myself to introduce...Myself

Hi! I'm Vaughn and I live in Maryland. I've been playing guitar for about 42 years. However, until recently I would consider myself a beginner. Basically I spent my life just learning pieces of songs (riffs). About a year ago I decided (finally) to buckle down and get serious. I setup a solid practice regiment and I've stuck with it. I now know more than one position/pattern of Pentatonic Minor and one shape of the major scale. hehe. I recently created a YouTube channel to track my progress of going from a 40-year beginner to advanced player. I found this application because I'm looking for scale and chord charts to share on my videos and also to my beginner students. Here's a link to my YouTube channel journal entry playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0s1AVXRCtdaAsR8N4yJeRYe5je1imd9t

Justin
07-16-2020, 11:49 PM
Hi Vaugh, welcome! Good work there - I wish I still had time to practice, actually I wish I had time to do lots of things ha! ND and 2 kids have other plans though :)

loveandhate
10-10-2020, 07:26 PM
hello everyone. im mike from Korea. if there are two things I love the most, one of them is my guitar !
happy to meet you all !

Guitarist Teacobouy
10-01-2021, 03:38 AM
Teacobouy
New user, Neck Diagrams Publisher
Guitar Instructor

Justin
10-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Welcome, welcome!

xstux
10-27-2021, 12:22 PM
Hi, new user from the UK (Pro Version for the scale generator :-) )
Been playing for 35 years, recently started having lessons which is paying off big time and was shown this by my teacher - love it.
All the best,
Stu

Justin
10-27-2021, 10:10 PM
Hi Stu, welcome!

35 years, wow - sounds like you were born with a guitar in your hands ;) Very glad to hear you're enjoying Neck Diagrams!

matonanjin
03-17-2022, 10:30 PM
hello everyone. im mike from Korea. if there are two things I love the most, one of them is my guitar !
happy to meet you all !
Shockingly, no one else has asked! What is the other?!?!:rolleyes:

RobWestaway
01-20-2023, 10:04 PM
Hi everybody from the UK. Just wanted to say thanks for such a fantastic piece of software!

Justin
01-24-2023, 11:18 PM
Hi everybody from the UK. Just wanted to say thanks for such a fantastic piece of software!

Hi Rob! You're very welcome - thanks for the kind words! :o

bobbydee
02-06-2023, 06:13 PM
Hi Justin, hi all, I am Bobby.
I am working with ND 2 and am very happy with it. I've been playing the guitar professionally for long time, Latin stuff, Bossa and Jazz.
I composed music for theatre plays, films and TV and now that I'm old I sit in my studio and can't put the guitar aside. I play for myself all the beautiful old tunes and keep learning and learning. I live in Munich, Germany. My beloved guitar is a green Telecaster deluxe limited edition with TV Jones pickups - made in Japan.

Justin
02-07-2023, 08:36 PM
Hi bobbydee,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've accomplished a lot in days gone by, and like you say there's always more to play and learn! :)