PDA

View Full Version : Numbering Scale tones

Daven
09-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Hi, when creating a scale, I would like to be able to number the scale tones. I don't want to show finger positions (i.e. 1 = index, 2 = ring, etc) But what I want is to be able to label the root dot as 1. Then the second scale degree dot as 2, etc....

I try to click on each dot with the select tool and then type the corresponding number (1, 2, 3, etc). However, this only allows me to number a total of 5 dotes/notes. It would be helpful to be able to label at least the first octave, or more!!

Is there a way to do this already or is this a possible new feature??

Daven9

Stringtheorist
09-30-2011, 08:56 AM
I'd like this feature, also.

Craig

Justin
09-30-2011, 05:37 PM
You'll be glad to hear that this can already be done :) Actually it's a core feature that's been there since v1.0!

You might want to take a few minutes to watch the new Introductory Tutorial video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkQS0brsEp8&feature=player_embedded#!) (<- that's a link!), as this is actually shown at the 1min 50sec mark.

Anyways, the secret is that you just need to mark which note is the root!
This is actually really easy:

just double click the note that should be the root
the Inspector window will open, showing properties of the note
check the "This is a root note" option

Just like this:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/how-to-set-the-root-note.png

You'll find the root note gets highlighted in red and that all the intervals are shown on the notes.

You can control what is shown on the notes themselves (nothing, fingerings, intervals, note names or custom text) via the "Note marker labels" option on the Fretboard Inspector options page. If you've got the Inspector open already just click on a blank part of the fretboard and it'll switch from the Note options to the Fretboard options, or just double click on the fretboard if it isn't already open.

If you don't want the root in red then just uncheck the "Highlight root note" option.
Or if you prefer all the roots in a different colour then change the "Root note highlight" option colour!

Those options look like this:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/note-marker-labels-and-root-note-highlight-options.png

Another important thing is that the intervals will by default show with 'p' on the perfect intervals and triangle/delta signs on the major ones (along with 'b' for the minors and # for the sharps).

Now if you don't want the p/triangles then you can change this option in the Preferences (menu Window > Preferences on Windows, or Neck Diagrams > Preferences on Macs).

Click on the Interval Names entry in the left hand list:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/interval-name-preferences.png

See the "US Style" option?!
And there's also an option to change the "R" root labels to show "1" instead.

Wow, that was a long answer! I think it's pretty comprehensive though...
Heck, maybe it would've been quicker to watch the video after all!

Justin
09-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Forgot to mention that you can see this at play in the examples, in particular the "Dorian Study" one, so open it up and take a look at the Inspector options on the fretboards and the root notes!

If you don't have this example or deleted the examples then just go to the Diagram Gallery view and click on menu Help > Restore Example Diagrams and they should show up again.

Daven
10-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys!! I love the program and am looking forward to the next update!!

Daven

Tyson
10-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Hello,
any chance of inserting the scale degree inside a dot (in roman numerals - I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII), as an option to finger, note or interval?
That would be GREAT. That way, with the same shape, depending on which degree you are starting the scale (making it root) you'd be studying a different scale mode.
I hope i made myself clear...?
Thank you
Tyson

Justin
10-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi Tyson,

You could almost do this with the custom labels option - except it's limited to 2 characters so you can't enter III and VII at the moment..

Maybe it'd be best to just increase the limit from 2 to 3 characters (although 3 wide letters, like 'www' probably won't fit on a note!). That'd let you do what you want.

Another potential option would be to have it as an option on the Interval Names section in the Preferences. I'm just not sure it qualifies as a 'bona-fide' interval labelling system though (probably rusty on using roman numerals - correct me if I'm wrong!) as how do you handle accidentals. Flattened intervals would just be lower case e.g. iii, but what about sharps or double flats, etc?! #V looks weird, no?! ;)

What do you think?

Tyson
10-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Hello,
The idea would be labeling the Scale Degrees and not the Intervals.
I'd say the best and simplest solution would be to allow 3 characters on custom labels ("VII" wouldn't be too wide to fit within the note circle).
Thanks
Tyson

Justin
10-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Another option would be to have a "Scale Intervals" entry in the Note Marker Labels options, so it'd be another type along with Fingerings, Intervals, Notes. Then the label text would be a (capital) roman numeral starting from I with the root and increasing with each subsequent note. But again what happens when you have fewer or more than 7 notes in the octave? I'd guess an arpeggio my be marked as I, III, V, VII, which you couldn't do this way...

So looks like the "add an extra character to custom labels" approach is going to be best! Will add this to the task list.

Tyson
10-21-2011, 03:24 PM
OK, solved!!!
Thks
Tyson

Zorshelter
11-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Justin,

I'm a new user, I've spent hours and hours making diagrams etc..and your program makes life easier, so thank you very much, anyway, I wasn't able to find a way to put bb7, is this possible, or will it be, thanks

Justin
11-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi Zorshelter,

Sure, you can specifiy a major 6th to show as either a bb7 (or 13) via the interval enharmonic drop-down list in the Inspector. If you have the Inspector open already just select the note you want to adjust, or if it's not open then just double click the note.

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/interval-enharmonic.png

You can see the drop-down list labelled "Interval" allows you to set the interval name to any one of the enharmonics, as might be more appropriate for your diagram!

And similarly for notes, e.g. D# / Eb.

Zorshelter
11-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you Justin, so simple, why didn't I see that........