PDA

View Full Version : Another Legends related question

fsenseman
08-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Greetings All,

I've created a diagram showing the 7 modes with root of E. I have the intervals on the diagram and notes in the legend. Everything looks good except the legend is not following standard naming conventions. For example sharps and flats are mixed, or the same note is listed twice such as bB and B. It is my understanding that the bB should be A# (this is the Lydian mode) as the A is not used in the current legend and all the rest of the notes in the diagrams where there are only sharps show sharps rather than flats. In the diagram itself it shows properly and as #4 rather than a b5. Since we can adjust the way the interval appears in the diagram it would be nice to have the legend follow the diagram. It is only this one mode showing the above issues.

I've attached the diagram in question. Any help would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Fleet

Justin
08-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Hi Fleet,

Currently ND doesn't 'know' key signatures, hence you need to manually adjust enharmonics.

And just like you can adjust the interval enharmonic you can also adjust the note enharmonic - in fact the settings are next to each other in the Note Inspector settings. Just select the note showing as Bb and adjust the note enharmonic to A#, and you might want to 'Apply to whole fretboard' also!

BTW I haven't looked at your diagram in detail, so this might not be relevant but afaiaa the key of a mode would be notated on a stave as the key of the parent major (hmm or perhaps minor..?). So E Dorian would be written on stave as being in the key of D major (as it's the 2nd mode of D major), E Phrygian would have a key of C major (being the 3rd mode of C major). Maybe this all falls into place automatically?!

Cheers!

fsenseman
08-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi Fleet,

Currently ND doesn't 'know' key signatures, hence you need to manually adjust enharmonics.

And just like you can adjust the interval enharmonic you can also adjust the note enharmonic - in fact the settings are next to each other in the Note Inspector settings. Just select the note showing as Bb and adjust the note enharmonic to A#, and you might want to 'Apply to whole fretboard' also!

BTW I haven't looked at your diagram in detail, so this might not be relevant but afaiaa the key of a mode would be notated on a stave as the key of the parent major (hmm or perhaps minor..?). So E Dorian would be written on stave as being in the key of D major (as it's the 2nd mode of D major), E Phrygian would have a key of C major (being the 3rd mode of C major). Maybe this all falls into place automatically?!

Cheers!

Hi Justin,

I'm showing intervals on the fretboard, and they are correct. It's the legend that is off (note shows as #A on fretboard, bB on legend.) How can I adjust the notes that are shown in the legend, that's the problem.

The diagrams follow a video off youtube showing the different modes, I've just duplicated the fingerings as shown in the video. I understand what you're saying about the keys not being E but the modes are shown by playing first an E major with E being the first note of the pattern. Next mode the E is the second note of the pattern, so you have to shift the pattern to make that happen. Same thing with the next mode, the E would be the third note in the pattern so you shift left or right to make that happen.

In any event, it makes sense when used with the video. I'm just not sure how to adjust the legend so it matches the fretboard in terms of sharps and flats.

Kind Regards,
Fleet

Justin
08-30-2012, 07:51 AM
It's just like I said Fleet!

You don't need to tweak the legend as it's not an attribute of the parameter - you need to go to the source and tweak the NOTE! Like this:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/adjusting-note-enharmonic-showing-in-legend.jpg

That's what you're after, right?

fsenseman
08-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Aha! Ok, sorry for being dense on that one :)

Yep, exactly what I'm after. Thanks very much! I didn't realize that that dialogue affected the legend.

Kind Regards,
Fleet