PDA

View Full Version : Fretboard Alignment

PMB
12-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Hi Justin,

I recently bought the Pro version of Neck Diagrams and it's a great tool. Well done!

I'm attempting to create an example for a book containing a 4 x 5 matrix. When entering fret numbers in double digits, I noticed that the left borders are vertically realigned to the outside edge of the fret numbers rather than to the edge of the fretboards. This means that boards with double digit fret numbers decrease in width to accommodate right sided alignment. Is there any way of resetting the overall alignment so that the fretboard edges on both sides rather than the fret numbers are vertically aligned? I tried to resize them all manually as a work around solution but wondered if I was missing something in the default settings.

Justin
12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi,

The main area of the fretboard should stay a constant size!

I think what you're asking about is something like in the image below, where the fretboards are actually the same size so they line up nicely but the 'wider' numbers just get pushed out a little further to maintain this:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/fretboard-size-and-fret-numbers.jpg

This should be what's happening, but sounds like you may have found a case in which it isn't... I was just about to ask you to describe in detail the steps to reproduce the issue, but I think I've found the bug! :p

Seems like this issue occurs when "Show fret numbers" is enabled; so if I have a fretboard say starting at the first fret, then enable "Show fret numbers" and then change the starting fret to say 9 so that 2-digit numbers show up (as above) then left edge of the fretboard shifts in a touch ..which is wrong.. what should be happening is the numbers moving left a little (ie the overall width of the selected fretboard object is wider).

I'll get this fixed in the 1.9 version that I'm hoping to release within the next couple weeks...

BTW, it's probably a bit of a pain but there is a workaround - in the steps I described above, if I set the starting fret before enabling "Show fret numbers" then the fretboard stays the correct width! :rolleyes:

PMB
12-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks Justin. I'll make another from scratch following your guidelines and let you know how it works out.

PMB
12-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Just a note to say that your solution worked out fine. Thanks again.