PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for note names to be displayed underneath a horizontal fretboard?

fsenseman
02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
I can't seem to find a way to do the above in the subject line. Is it possible to do so? It would be really nice to show the intervals within the markers on a 12 fret fretboard diagram and show the notes underneath (which would only require six lines) or vice-versa. If I use row 1 labels and row 2 labels I get an additional 24 columns of info on a horizontal 12 fret fretboard. Kind of hard to read simply because there is so much info there (using custom paper size just so I can see everything.) Even if I only use either row 1 or row 2, making it only twelve columns of info to the right of the fretboard, it's still much more difficult reading the note names (for the sake of this discussion I'm showing intervals on the fretboard) than it would be to have the note names in a 12 x 6 matrix underneath.

If this can't be done, could we add this to the feature requests? Maybe easier to do than show intervals and notes in the same marker, though I'd still really like that feature as well.

BTW, Hi Justin! :D

Kind Regards,
Fleet
Professional Feature Requester

Justin
02-06-2012, 12:26 PM
No, you can't do that at the moment - legends are currently always to the right of horizontal fretboard (or left, for left-handed ones iirc!), and below vertical fretboards.

Sounds like you've got a lot of notes on the fretboard... wouldn't it just be easier to copy the fretboard below it and show other information (e.g. note names) on it? I think that'd be more readable and would probably take up as much space as a 12x6 matrix anyway, no?!

What do you think? How about you attach this fretboard and I can Photo-chop it do to a mock-up to see if you like that.. :D

fsenseman
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the offer. I think it's a good idea and I'll try it out. What I did short term is just to type the notes in a text box under the fretboard. I have the fretboard filled from open to 12th fret as I'm 1) trying to learn all the notes on the fretboard and 2) looking at the the patterns of intervals as I change the root note. What I have now is doing the trick but thanks again for offering to mock something up for me.

Kind Regards,
Fleet

Justin
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Ahh learning note names?! I'd strongly recommend you watch a video Doug Marks did that I posted to the ND blog: http://neckdiagrams.com/blog/How-to-learn-the-names-of-the-notes-across-the-fretboard

He covers a technique Joe Satriani wrote about in a magazine article back in the 80's (it's in his Guitar Secrets (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joe-Satriani-Guitar-Secrets-Tab/dp/0895247380) collection of articles) which at its core is taking a note and learning - i.e. playing - it on each string (and you can visualize the CAGED shapes even), then repeating for every note. I found it works great, and Doug goes even further with other ideas too!

Should work better than staring at diagrams with LOADS of info on them, where you might find you "can't see the wood for the trees"!

fsenseman
02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Ahh learning note names?! I'd strongly recommend you watch a video Doug Marks did that I posted to the ND blog: http://neckdiagrams.com/blog/How-to-learn-the-names-of-the-notes-across-the-fretboard

He covers a technique Joe Satriani wrote about in a magazine article back in the 80's (it's in his Guitar Secrets (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joe-Satriani-Guitar-Secrets-Tab/dp/0895247380) collection of articles) which at its core is taking a note and learning - i.e. playing - it on each string (and you can visualize the CAGED shapes even), then repeating for every note. I found it works great, and Doug goes even further with other ideas too!

Should work better than staring at diagrams with LOADS of info on them, where you might find you "can't see the wood for the trees"!

I hear you! There is certainly a lot of ground I'm covering and it's hard to keep focused on one thing. That's going to be part of my next lesson with my instructor: List of topics covered and setting some priorities on where to focus. I checked out the video once, but not the entirety of it. I'll give it another look and see if it can't help me out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind Regards,
Fleet