PDA

View Full Version : 'neck diagrams.' for linux ?

damien
02-10-2012, 08:12 AM
I am one of many people keen to move from windows over to linux.
Guitar pro 6 works well under linux. All im missing now is neck diagrams.
please could you consider making a version that runs in linux.

Justin
02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi Damien,

This is something I've considered, but I'm not keen to increase my testing by 50%! (Windows, Mac + Linux) My guess is that the number of Linux users would be fairly small, but maybe I'm misjudging that. Interesting that GuitarPro have a Linux version, but they've got WAY more people working for them!

Maybe I could try doing a Linux build after 1.9 is out, if you fancy being a bit of a guinea pig?! I can do some basic testing on a virtual machine (is Ubuntu the distro of choice these days?) and if it looks good & behaves for you also then I could maybe put some details on the download page that "linux version available on request"...

Have you tried running ND under Wine? Not tried that myself, wonder if it'd work like that...?

sword
06-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi Damien,

This is something I've considered, but I'm not keen to increase my testing by 50%! (Windows, Mac + Linux) My guess is that the number of Linux users would be fairly small, but maybe I'm misjudging that. Interesting that GuitarPro have a Linux version, but they've got WAY more people working for them!

Maybe I could try doing a Linux build after 1.9 is out, if you fancy being a bit of a guinea pig?! I can do some basic testing on a virtual machine (is Ubuntu the distro of choice these days?) and if it looks good & behaves for you also then I could maybe put some details on the download page that "linux version available on request"...

Have you tried running ND under Wine? Not tried that myself, wonder if it'd work like that...?

Trying this out in Wine now for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Brand new to the Linux world and I'm tired of Windows discrepancies, slow boot/processing times, bloatware, viruses, etc. So far it seems to be working after booting in Wine and re-registering the standard then pro versions. Hope this doesn't count as one of my 3 installations because I'm not sure if Wine will keep working or not. Will keep you posted.

If it doesn't work, I think it's still worth the effort to release a Linux version due to the popularity of Linux growing by leaps and bounds. Currently some more popular brands like Dell, Acer, and Asus are releasing some of their laptops with Ubuntu OS installed. (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#sclient=psy-ab&q=laptops%20with%20linux%20preloaded&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=e38afce14bc6f4a1&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.eWU&biw=1317&bih=609)

From my research, there's a great site called DistroWatch (http://www.distrowatch.com) that shows all the most popular Linux distros and their rankings over the years. Currently, Linux Mint is on top with Ubuntu trailing a close 3rd and Mageia in 2nd.

Justin
06-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info and the pic - very interesting!

1.9 is indeed out now, but I won't be able to experiment with doing a Linux build for a while as still have tons of stuff to sort out at the moment. Wine definitely looks like it's doing a good job in the meantime :)

colincci
09-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the info and the pic - very interesting!

1.9 is indeed out now, but I won't be able to experiment with doing a Linux build for a while as still have tons of stuff to sort out at the moment. Wine definitely looks like it's doing a good job in the meantime :)

I just want to place my vote for a Linux version. I do all my music related stuff on Linux. Best DAW around. Harrison Mix Bus rocks, I have a linux version of Transcribe which is a fabulous program.

If wine works well, than that is an option but often requires tweaking of the windows code to get it happy. I'm testing 1.9 on wine right now but running into a few problems.

Thanks

Colin

Dean
09-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the suggestion. At this point in time Linux still doesn't look like a viable option for us I'm afraid. Even with this thread, which is two years old now, we can count requests for a Linux version on one hand. Maybe one and a half :confused:

Hopefully you can get past the WINE hiccups lol, we've had a couple users report that ND works OK under WINE.

Thanks
Dean

colincci
09-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the suggestion. At this point in time Linux still doesn't look like a viable option for us I'm afraid. Even with this thread, which is two years old now, we can count requests for a Linux version on one hand. Maybe one and a half :confused:

Hopefully you can get past the WINE hiccups lol, we've had a couple users report that ND works OK under WINE.

Thanks
Dean
Hi Dean

Thanks for the response. In fact, the program itself seems to work nearly flawlessly under wine. The only problem I have is a very annoying error message "Periodic workspace save has encountered a problem". This pops up regularly, but clearing it and continuing everything else seems to work fine. I believe this is a problem with Java under wine. There are many references to it on the net but so far I haven't found any solution.

Anyway, for now, the application seems to work fine under wine (pun intended!)

Colin

Dean
11-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Hi Colin

We might have an idea on the "Periodic Workspace Save" problem. We're not suggesting we're supporting Linux now but are happy to take a look at what we've stumbled across. We'll just need your log file. Being a Linux user I'm sure you can follow the following without the need for screenshots ;)

Probably the simplest way to get it is:

open the About Neck Diagrams window,
click the Installation Details button,
click on the Configuration tab,
then click the 'View error log' button
(if on Windows it might prompt you to choose an application, Notepad is fine)
then save the file and email it over

Thanks
Dean

colincci
11-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Hi Colin

We might have an idea on the "Periodic Workspace Save" problem. We're not suggesting we're supporting Linux now but are happy to take a look at what we've stumbled across. We'll just need your log file. Being a Linux user I'm sure you can follow the following without the need for screenshots ;)

Probably the simplest way to get it is:

open the About Neck Diagrams window,
click the Installation Details button,
click on the Configuration tab,
then click the 'View error log' button
(if on Windows it might prompt you to choose an application, Notepad is fine)
then save the file and email it over

Thanks
Dean

Hi Dean

That is great news. I am tied up at work right now, but I will try and get the info you are requesting this weekend.

Thanks

Colin

colincci
09-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Hi Dean

Sorry, I completely forgot about this. I have the file now. Are you still willing to take a look at it?

Thanks

Colin

Hi Dean

That is great news. I am tied up at work right now, but I will try and get the info you are requesting this weekend.

Thanks

Colin

Dean
09-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Hi Colin

I see you've sent the file in via the support channel, so I'll respond via the support ticket instead of the forum.

Thanks
Dean

colincci
05-24-2016, 10:12 PM
Well. I have good news to report. I have been experimenting with Neck Diagrams under different versions of wine using PlayOnLinux. I discovered that Neck Diagrams appears to run perfectly under wine vs 1.7.4. There are strange display problems using version wine 1.7.55 and greater. Wine versions older than 1.7.4 have the workspace error message. Stick 1.7.4 and everything seems great.

Colin

oranline
06-07-2016, 05:23 PM
I do not get it to work

Dean
06-08-2016, 08:05 AM
I do not get it to work

Hi Oranline - We'll need a little more info than that I'm afraid. Are you saying you can't get ND to run on the suggest Linux build mentioned in the thread?

Whilst we do try to assist Linux users, ND isn't officially supported on this platform and users running ND on Linux have configured this of there own accord.

Regards
Dean

SteveM
01-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Folks
I had reason to try and run the 1.9 latest app over Wine (both 1.6 and the latest 1.8 tried) on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with 4.8.10 kernel.
The app installs ok after making sure there is a java dir but crashes under run with an apparent error in swing area (SWT).. for your interest I enclose the crash head. if you want more happy to replicate - it would be great if it worked over Wine - but understand you do not support it at all.. this email is really for your info. If you have something you would like me to try please contact me..

kind regards
Steve

================================================== ======
================== STACK TRACE: ==================
org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Graphic is disposed
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4533)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4448)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4419)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.setBackground(GC.java: 4390)
at org.eclipse.nebula.widgets.grid.Grid.onPaint(Grid. java:5211)
at org.eclipse.nebula.widgets.grid.Grid.access$2(Grid .java:5202)
at org.eclipse.nebula.widgets.grid.Grid$4.paintContro l(Grid.java:6453)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent( TypedListener.java:231)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Event Table.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display. java:4410)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.ja va:1079)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.ja va:1103)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.ja va:1088)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite.WM_PAINT(Composi te.java:1590)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control .java:4848)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Canvas.windowProc(Canvas.j ava:359)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display .java:5115)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessageW (Native Method)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessage( OS.java:2552)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Di splay.java:3814)
at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchAdvisor.openWi ndows(WorkbenchAdvisor.java:803)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$33.runWithExcept ion(Workbench.java:1595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRu nnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableL ock.java:35)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessa ges(Synchronizer.java:182)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(D isplay.java:4203)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Di splay.java:3819)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench. java:2604)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workben ch.java:2494)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench. java:674)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runW ithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWork bench(Workbench.java:667)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(Pl atformUI.java:149)
at a.a.p.l.start(l.java:34)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle. run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseA ppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java: 110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseA ppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.ru n(EclipseStarter.java:353)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.ru n(EclipseStarter.java:180)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework( Main.java:629)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.ja va:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:14 38)

Dean
01-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Hi Steve

Thanks for going out of your way to provide this.

ND 1.9 is pretty ancient now, you can download the latest version (1.11.3) from the link below.

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/download

If you still encounter the error and wish to send it in, can I ask you to use the 'submit' button at the bottom of the dialogue please. I'm not sure how much you copied and pasted here but we could do with the entire log. I'm wondering if forum posts have a set amount of characters, much like our Helpdesk, and has therefore disregarded beyond the limit.

Using the submit button sends the full directly to a dedicated mailbox.

Thanks again
Dean

SteveM
01-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Actually it is 1.11.3 not 1.9 :(

I have added the complete log.. i hope you get this.. let me know either way.

tried to submit but some some reason would not attach/upload..

cheers
Steve

Dean
01-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Steve!

Attchment should be fine. Odd about submitting via the error dialogue.

We appear to be receiving things submitted by other users. We've obviously never tested in Linux. Host file config maybe, if there is such a thing in Linux/Wine.

Thanks
Dean

JazzGuy
06-23-2018, 03:09 PM
I'm running the latest 1.11.3 Neck Diagrams under Linux Mint 18.3, and just updated Wine to the latest version 3.10.

Still having the notes with rough edges that export that way in graphic format. The fretboard notes will export smooth in pdf format, but if I have placed text on the worksheet, not everything is captured by pdf export. Some text is always cut off, no matter where I put it.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Dean
06-25-2018, 09:22 PM
Hi there

Linux isn't a supported platform, but with regards to the truncated text, you can try adding a few blank spaces (spacebars) at the end of the text to see if that changes things.

Blurry text/note markers on exported images are usually discovered when trying to increase the size of the rasta image. You could try increasing the size of the original diagram in ND, then export to see if you get better results. I'm sure you've come across other posts on the forum about some enhancements we're making for ND2.

Hope this helps and maybe one of the other Linux users will chime in, there's only a handful that I know of though.

Thanks