PDA

View Full Version : iPad Version??

ThreeChapters
10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I didnt see anything relating to this so my apologise if it has already been discussed. Is it likely?? It would be great for teachers especially.

Justin
10-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Yes I'd love to do an iPad version! It's on the task list, but given time constraints and the fact I don't yet know iOS programming I think this can go 2 ways: either delayed, delayed, delayed... or I get some help and hire someone/firm to help out with this.

Given the story with the delays to the v1.9 release I'm realistically going to have to find some help. I don't want to spend a large sum developing it though if folks won't buy it though. Given the race to the bottom on the iPhone app pricing I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be that people would be prepared to pay. Got any thoughts on that? Experience of other apps? What's the pain threshold $10?

Would love to hear your thoughts! Would you want the full editing experience, text boxes, images and all? Or just a quick way to diagram fretboards that you could then later transfer into the desktop app easily..?

ThreeChapters
10-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Well as many teachers use ND for work I'd imagine that many of them prob have and use an iPad as its such a great teaching aid.

The full experience would be great, especially for knocking up diagrams on the fly but a lite version (to help gauge public response) with more interesting templates would be good that could be shared or emailed at the click of a screen would be very handy. Having the ability to work with the computer version would be a great asset. At the moment i pdf my diagrams and store them in ibook. Ive got tons of lesson subjects covered, often a few pages, but it would be handy to be able to quickly draw up say the chords to a progression and send to to a student via email rather than give them a 4 page pdf of jazz chords 101 lol

Id happily pay $10 for the 'full' version on an ipad. But a lite version that ran a little less would be fine. Actually i think id prefer that - not because of price but because of function

octatonic
10-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I'd be up for full functionality and would obviously pay $10 for it.
Maybe the free/lite version could be read/import only.

dwdougherty
10-26-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd use it. :)

David Dougherty, OR, USA

dwdougherty
10-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I would use it (full functionality). :)

David Dougherty, OR, USA

Justin
10-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Was away at a tech conference last week.. and I got all excited as it looks like there's a path to producing an iOS/Android version with the technology I'm already using :) [Hey David, good to hear from you!]

So I'm thinking this is something I definitely will investigate further as it would mean not having to write 'mobile' versions from scratch and potentially re-using a good chunk of existing code, speeding up development and reducing cost massively.

There's one catch though, a limitation of the tech used in this approach... you'd need to be connected to the internet to use it.

How does that grab you? Bit of a pain in the backside, but aren't you most likely to use this when you have wifi available anyway? Or at least a mobile data connection...

I think as a first iteration, to prove the viability, it'd be great to get something out there at a reasonable price and then if the 'always-connected' thing proves to be a sticking point (or there's limitations in the port tech) then that'd be the time to invest some real cash and hire some guys to do a proper native implementation...

twistedblues
03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
isn't the required internet connection up to the developer for the app? I know some apps require you to be online and some don't for advertising purposes or whatever

Justin
03-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Not in this case - the tool to allow doing this quick implementation require you be connected. I've kinda gone off doing it this way now anyway. Will be investigating frameworks that'd allow both an Android and iOS version to be created at the same time...

twistedblues
03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
are you talking about making the regular computer version online only also?

Justin
03-08-2013, 07:22 PM
No no no, don't worry! If you're thinking everything might be shifting to be browser-based then you've got the wrong end of the stick unfortunately! The desktop application will remain, it won't be changing to a web/browser application.

When I said previously "you'd need to be connected to the internet to use it" I don't mean you'd need to access the mobile version via a browser but simply that the app would need a data connection to a server so you would need to have an internet connection.

For example if you turn off your 3G data and WiFi on your phone you don't have an internet connection so the app would not work in that situation; it'd probably be dependent on the speed of the connection too so slow mobile data for example might make it painful to use. Which is why I'm not at all keen on that approach!

lindydanny
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm just getting into the discussion...

Having some access to downloads or collaboration would be nice, but requiring it for the app to run would cripple some of us. I don't always teach in a place where I have internet access.

Also, $10 would be a fair price for the app. Especially if it turns out as well designed as the current version. However, it would be totally cool of you to offer some sort of discount to those of us that have already purchased the app in it's non-ipad/iphone form.

~Danny

Justin
05-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi Danny,

Yes - I'm not at all keen on the idea of it only working when there's a net connection... think I'm going to give up on that route as it'd bound to be be a deal-breaker for many.

Pricing is tricky as there'd be a large difference between the tablet and desktop versions. I had thought of offering a discount to those with the desktop version - just not sure how this works via the app store? I think it's possible to provide some kind of voucher link? Any experience of that? I'm pretty sure you can't type in a discount code when buying apps, right?!

lindydanny
05-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi Danny,

Yes - I'm not at all keen on the idea of it only working when there's a net connection... think I'm going to give up on that route as it'd bound to be be a deal-breaker for many.

Pricing is tricky as there'd be a large difference between the tablet and desktop versions. I had thought of offering a discount to those with the desktop version - just not sure how this works via the app store? I think it's possible to provide some kind of voucher link? Any experience of that? I'm pretty sure you can't type in a discount code when buying apps, right?!

I don't have any with it myself, but Matt Warnock of http://mattwarnockguitar.com/ gives away freebies of his apps all the time. If you can get in contact with him, he may have some insight for you.

Gaemeth
05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
+1 for me.
Would definilty spend few bucks for iPad or Android version.

But a Java Online applet would be great too ! Voiding Flash at all cost for iPad compatibility.

Anyway, great work Justin !

Justin
05-24-2013, 05:38 AM
I don't have any with it myself, but Matt Warnock of http://mattwarnockguitar.com/ gives away freebies of his apps all the time. If you can get in contact with him, he may have some insight for you.

Thanks for the tip - will have to drop Matt a line!

But a Java Online applet would be great too ! Voiding Flash at all cost for iPad compatibility.

Oh yes, Flash is a non-starter, that won't happen so nothing to worry about there!
Similarly for a Java applet - although I thought that doesn't work on iOS either no? But it'd probably require an active internet connection anyways so no good for when you're not online... Unless it'd get cached but then there's no Java Control Panel on iOS so my guess is that it won't, right?!

Gaemeth
05-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Well, maybe the Java Applet is a no no solution as it mostly relies on dependencies resolutions. My approach was based on the facts that your application is definitly a great tool that should be available on every system.
Imho, mobile version are more enclined to need maintenance, as technology still evolves here with new screens, ui and ergonomics, tactile approach etc. So no pb to pay a mobile version.
For notebook and desktops, using an applet would virtually adress every platform. I didnt meant a wzb browser based version but a .jar one, as JREs are now almost 100% installed. Depending on your actual implementation, your only work would only need to address UI adaptation and choose the right Ui framework.
Mac wont be a pb at all

funjunkie27
07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Just wondering if there's an update on this topic. I own NeckDiagrams already, but I am rarely on the desktop now that there are so many iPad music apps available. I'd love the see NeckDiagrams added.

Nick
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Its still in the works, not been massively active on this front yet as we're making progress on ND v2.

Regards,
Nick

Justin
02-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Hi All,

So, finally getting things rolling here! Trouble is we don't have in-house iOS/Android SDK skills and as there's not enough time in the day to learn this stuff (hate to think how long it'd be before become productive too!) we're going to have to hire some folks to help us out on this front.

We've actually been in discussion with some teams, and I wanted to see if my idea/direction with this is something that'd keep you guys happy...

As hiring good guys is going to cost a lot I want to limit the scope of the first iteration of this primarily as working on a large project leaves lots of room for problems when working with an unknown team -will they hit targets? -will their work be buggy? -will they be easy to work with? etc etc etc

Writing a feature complete version that matches the desktop app is a HUGE amount of work so we're keen to reduce the scope in some way, so the guys can prove themselves, we find out how they are to work with, all without embarking on a multi-year project that turns into a cash black hole! Not that there's much of that around as it's all going into v2 development but that's another story - and it's going great btw! :)

Now the main way to keep things simple as I see it, is to keep the mobile version limited to editing a single fretboard at a time. So no page/canvas where you can add as many fretboards/text/images/etc as you like and move them about, resize them...

You'd also probably be able to add a text note to the fretboard. It'd be able to play back the sound of your chord or scale. But a cool feature would be the ability to select a bunch of these individual fretboards in the mobile app and then send them to the desktop Neck Diagrams where it'd receive them and allow you to assemble them onto a single page, if you choose, so you can prepare stuff on the go (and e.g. email them to folks too) but also easily assemble/finish up pages with that content.

How does that grab you???

I guess it's not quite what you all want, but Rome wasn't built in a day and in time we'll get there with future iterations! Doesn't seem like an outlandish compromise, right?

Looking forward to your thoughts...

ThreeChapters
03-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Sounds pretty good. I have no problem using a computer for bigger files with multi use. Its having the ability to knock something up on the fly specific to a student that would work for me and sounds like this is what it would deliver. It might be nice to be able to import the diagrams onto a computer for rearranging afterword to save re diagraming everything.

Dean
03-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Hi ThreeChapters

It might be nice to be able to import the diagrams onto a computer for rearranging afterword to save re diagraming everything.

Yes, this something we're really keen to implement in the mobile / app version too. You could knock up some diagrams whilst in a lesson, session, on the tube etc. then sync up or transfer these to the full version for further editing, sharing, printing.

Nothing concrete on how this would be done yet but the ball is a rolling.

Thanks
Dean

Simon warr
08-17-2018, 02:19 PM
Is there any update on this please. I am new to this form and would love an iPad version (don’t use a computer very often) but not this thread is a number of years old now. I can’t see anything on the App Store

Dean
08-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Hi Simon

No updates with regards to an iOS or Android version I'm afraid. That's in the backlog whilst finalise our next major release. Once that's out we should have the resources to focus on this. On a positive note, the two team is now up to, um, seven IIRC - so we're definitely investing our end to push things along.

Regards