PDA

View Full Version : Print does nothing

spinality
05-06-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm sure this is very stupid, but when I request 'print' on a trial copy of the software (either from the print button or from the menu), nothing happens. Is the print feature disabled? This tool looks very good to me, but I really want to see how printed output will appear. Printing and exporting images are key for me. I see nothing about printing in the (short) documentation. Thanks for any suggestions.

Justin
05-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi spinality,

Sounds very unusual to me - have never heard of someone not being able to print at all! I would first check the basic 'obvious' things-

is the print menu/toolbar icon actually enabled?
if not, make sure that you have a diagram page selected!
either in the Diagram Gallery make sure a file or a thumbnail is selected
or in the Edit view ensure a page has focus (its tab will be highlighted)

i.e. you need to make sure the app knows what you want to print - if it doesn't then the menu/toolbar icon will not be enabled and clicking it won't do anything!

If still no luck I would suggest you email me a copy of the logfile to support [AT] neckdiagrams.com - probably the simplest you can get it is:

open the About Neck Diagrams window,
click the Installation Details button,
click on the Configuration tab,
then click the 'View error log' button
(if on Windows it might prompt you to choose an application, Notepad is fine)
then save the file and email it over

I'll take a look at the logfile to see if there's any useful further info as to what's happening (or not!) for you.

Regards,
Justin

spinality
05-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi Justin. Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. My first thought was that printing might simply be disabled in the trial version, or some other simple solution. However I should have tried the "Bill Gates Solution" first: reboot. Or in this case, restart. After restarting NeckDiagrams, printing works just fine. Perhaps there is some installation artifact that interferes with device access on first launch. Anyway, whatever problem existed resolved itself. I looked through the log for clues but saw nothing suggestive.

I do have a boatload of these warning blocks, which showed up in today's portion of the log (but were not in the section from last night's run):

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2012-05-06 10:02:59.148
!MESSAGE Either the manifest file or the signature file has been tampered in this jar: C:\Neck Diagrams\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win3 2.win32.x86_1.1.0.v20100503
!STACK 0
java.security.SignatureException: Either the manifest file or the signature file has been tampered in this jar: C:\Neck Diagrams\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win3 2.win32.x86_1.1.0.v20100503
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.signedcontent.SignatureB lockProcessor.verifyManifestAndSignatureFile(Signa tureBlockProcessor.java:154)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.signedcontent.SignatureB lockProcessor.processSigner(SignatureBlockProcesso r.java:104)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.signedcontent.SignatureB lockProcessor.process(SignatureBlockProcessor.java :60)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.signedcontent.SignedBund leFile.setBundleFile(SignedBundleFile.java:47)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.signedcontent.SignedBund leHook.getSignedContent(SignedBundleHook.java:247)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.signedcontent.SignedBund leHook.getSignedContent(SignedBundleHook.java:272)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.about.AboutBundleData.isSi gned(AboutBundleData.java:108)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.about.AboutPluginsPage$1.r un(AboutPluginsPage.java:117)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.j ava:54)

Not sure if this is of interest to you.

Anyway this is a wonderful tool, thanks for doing a nice job. - Trevor

Justin
05-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi Trevor,
Glad the printing sorted itself out. The installation is pretty vanilla really, and I'm sure you're the first user to report this particular issue so there's probably been other gremlins at play! However I'll raise a ticket to test a new install & immediate print on a clean Windows virtual machine.

Will also raise a ticket to investigate the log error messages you're seeing. Sounds like my build process might be signing things it shouldn't be... I imagine the side effects are benign, i.e. only the log messages, and that the application will behave as normal.

Anyway this is a wonderful tool, thanks for doing a nice job. - Trevor
Many thanks for the kind words!