PDA

View Full Version : Precise dimensions in Inspector

spinality
05-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I'd like Inspector to provide precise position/size dimensions on selected objects, to help in fine placement and adjustment. For example, I have several fretboards on the same page. I'd like to be able to tweak the exact positions of the corners. "Match width" and "Match height" are useful, but they don't cover all cases.

Justin
05-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I think I already have a ticket raised for this, it rings a bell - will double check and if not then will raise one. It will be added in a future release!

BTW have you tried using guide lines? Clicking in a vertical/horizontal ruler is how you create them. Click it's triangle to give it focus and hit the delete key to delete them. I find them very useful for aligning things...

spinality
05-06-2012, 08:38 PM
BTW have you tried using guide lines? Clicking in a vertical/horizontal ruler is how you create them. Click it's triangle to give it focus and hit the delete key to delete them. I find them very useful for aligning things...

I'm just starting out, so I hadn't used that feature yet; but now that you've pointed it out, I agree it is handy. (It would probably be more useful for me if the fretboard would 'snap' to the guideline both at the edge of the fretboard's margin and also at the start of the fretboard's 'ink' i.e. at the nut, top fret, and top/bottom string. Or if the fretboard's margins could be made visible even when the object is not selected. Basically, since alignment is visual, I'd prefer that it worked on the visual features in addition to or instead of the blank margin.)

Justin
05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, additional snap points would definitely be helpful.. have raised a new ticket to investigate that in future.

Match Width & Match Height actually use the 'visual' attributes of the fretboard, so the fretboard area should then match, regardless of whether one fretboard is showing frets and others not, for example. Seems like this should also be applied to the alignment tools! I can't actually think why I didn't do it like that...

Perhaps there are situations where that would be useful, such as with a selection of different types of object, but I think the 'match' behaviour should apply to alignment of fretboard edges also, really. No?!

spinality
05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I think the 'match' behaviour should apply to alignment of fretboard edges also, really. No?!

Agreed. And it should ignore note outlines and other outliers; the fretboard edges would be the logical alignment elements. And it would logically be effective at the CENTERLINES of the edges, ignoring the width of the lines/strings/etc. that may be superimposed.

Not a super important feature, but handy for artwork intended for publication. Precise numeric adjustments in the Inspector would give the ability to do any final fine-tuning needed for special cases.