PDA

View Full Version : change save location, use with dropbox

hotel17
09-09-2013, 07:44 PM
I want to save files to a folder on my dropbox, so I can open my diagrams on both my macbook and iMac.
However, I can't seem to change the location to where the files are saved. They're all being saved to application support > neck diagrams

Nick
09-10-2013, 04:32 PM
You can't currently change the location easily. This can be set up but it means you can only run ND on one machine at a time.

Let me now if you want to know how to do this and we can assist.

Another possibility is to keep .fbd files on Dropbox - see this tutorial vid about sharing .fbd files

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7CethmxGvU

- and then double click the file to "edit at location" rather than importing it into the workspace.

Regards,
Nick

hotel17
09-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I would prefer to have my library sync automatically (Dropbox), rather than having to drop each new file manually in the Dropbox folder.

Why isn't possible to choose your destination folder?

Justin
09-11-2013, 09:12 PM
It's a technical limitation and a design decision I made when I started building Neck Diagrams..

There have been requests to be able to change the location where the files are stored and this is something that'll be added in a future release for sure!

Do be aware thought that putting this on a WebDAV folder isn't the same as having it on a network shared drive and there's no way to prevent users in this situation from opening ND on 2 computers at once which will confuse DropBox/etc as to what to sync and can potentially mess up the workspace if not careful..

hotel17
10-24-2013, 07:05 PM
It's a technical limitation and a design decision I made when I started building Neck Diagrams..

There have been requests to be able to change the location where the files are stored and this is something that'll be added in a future release for sure!

Do be aware thought that putting this on a WebDAV folder isn't the same as having it on a network shared drive and there's no way to prevent users in this situation from opening ND on 2 computers at once which will confuse DropBox/etc as to what to sync and can potentially mess up the workspace if not careful..

I have been using ND now for two months. Love this app. Only one thing gives me a giant headache: not being able to choose the destination folder for saving my files. Now I have to manually move them from one computer (desktop at home) to another (laptop at work/school). As a result, files are not synced automatically, and it happens often that I'm on my laptop and need that file back home on my desktop.
Please add this feature in future release!

Justin
10-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi,

We've been doing some work on this actually, so will be testing this soonish. Won't be available for a while though as it's part of a much larger body of work for v2!

BTW this first step would allow you to change the main workspace folder.

We'll also be adding support for saving files anywhere you like but this will impact the Diagram Gallery, as tracking the files will be impossible once saved outside the default workspace! ie if you move the file whilst ND isn't running there'd be no way to open it from the Diagram Gallery as ND wouldn't know where it is anymore.

Maybe we'll have a special 'project' show in the Diagram Gallery kinda like a 'Recent Files' thing maybe and pages saved outside the workspace will be shown but will be removed if it's been moved. It'd show up again if you opened the file though..

lindydanny
09-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Any update on this functionality?

Dean
09-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Nothing right now I'm afraid Danny. Apart from it's in progress, along with everything else coming in ND2 - which has become a HUGE project now, especially considering we're a very small independent company.