PDA

View Full Version : Guides Issues and Thoughts

Erik in NJ
10-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I can create guides by clicking in the numbered area (index area) on a page. If I drag a guide up to zero and hold it in the right spot the page scrolls into negative numbers which I'm not sure there is any use for (this only happens along the vertical axis, not the horizontal). Also while dragging the guide, if I move my cursor off of the numbered area, the whole guide becomes invisible, but is still under my control. I should be able to grab a guide by clicking anywhere on the guide line and not just the little figure that looks like "home plate."

There doesn't seem to be any way to remove a guide once it is created. If you right-click on the index area, you get the single action: Create Guide. BTW, I think it should create the guide right where your mouse is when you right-click. It would be nice if you right-click while mousing over the guide (or even home plate) you should get a Remove Guide option. Double clicking on a guide could remove it or bring up a dialog allowing you to set the guide properties (line type, color, etc.).

If I drag my fretboard up to a guide, it becomes red which is nice, however if I pull it away part of the guide line is gray and part of it (the parts that didn't touch the thing I dragged) is black dashes.

What do the numbers in the index area represent? Would be very nice if we could represent it in inches/cm too and have an option.

The two 0s at the upper left corner are cut in half by that little white square--any whay to remove that? If not I would get rid of the 0s. Can you put a tick mark under the numbers? Also when you drag a guide it would be nice if there was a tool tip pop up that showed you you exact x and y coordinate for better control. I don't really know where 200 is for example.

That's all I have on Guides right now--again please don't take any of this as criticism of your product, just trying to help you make a great product even better. :cool:

Erik in NJ
10-11-2013, 06:26 PM
One more nice to have: when I move an object like a fret board around on a Diagram Page can you display the x and y coordinates on the bottom part of the window? On my trial version that I have installed at work (shhhh.... :)) it would work well in the area that contains the text "Trial Version."

Erik in NJ
10-11-2013, 06:33 PM
One thing I just noticed when dragging my fret board around --I cannot get it to (0, 0) on the screen at least not along the X axis. I can get it to within 1/64" or so and then it jumps 1/64" into the gray area. Along the Y axis I have the granularity to put it snug up to 0 though. Probably not a good idea to allow us to move it past (0, 0) which it now allows us to do. Another suggestion would be to allow an option on right click of the object to specify it's position on the X and Y axis--of course if you allow inches and cm in addition to the current "units" they would all need to be properly supported.

Erik in NJ
10-12-2013, 03:28 AM
As I move the cursor (pointer) across the X or Y axis of the (index area) it would be nice to see the X or Y coordinate value near the bottom of the screen.

If I double click on a vertical or horizontal guide, the cursor momentarily turns to cross-hairs (not sure if you can do anything with that) and opens a Property Inspector window that says "No properties for current selection".

Erik in NJ
10-12-2013, 03:38 AM
As I drag a fretboard over a guide, as I mentioned it turns red when the fretboard is bisected along its axis (at the halfway point). The guide will turn white in one or two other positions...these seem to be halfway between certain strings though it does not do this for all strings or at least I cannot get it to do so. If you align the side of the object against a guide, it turns red also and the other guides turn white (from black).

Erik in NJ
10-12-2013, 04:50 AM
The behavior is different with my purchased version. Here I can move the object up to (0, 0) with proper granularity, but when I drag an object it needs to move 1/16" or so before I see the blue box appear on the screen. The object should move with the same granularity as it does after the blue box appears.

One thing I just noticed when dragging my fret board around --I cannot get it to (0, 0) on the screen at least not along the X axis. I can get it to within 1/64" or so and then it jumps 1/64" into the gray area. Along the Y axis I have the granularity to put it snug up to 0 though. Probably not a good idea to allow us to move it past (0, 0) which it now allows us to do. Another suggestion would be to allow an option on right click of the object to specify it's position on the X and Y axis--of course if you allow inches and cm in addition to the current "units" they would all need to be properly supported.

Justin
11-07-2013, 02:57 PM
There doesn't seem to be any way to remove a guide once it is created.

Just click the guide and then hit the delete key!

What do the numbers in the index area represent?

A comprehensive wish-list for the guides & rulers! These features are almost all provided by an open-source framework. I'll raise some tickets at some point against it, but probably won't be an immediate rush from contributors! Once we get our big pile of ND fretboard/music focused items sorted for the next big release then maybe we can work on some of these and contribute them back.

One more nice to have: when I move an object like a fret board around on a Diagram Page can you display the x and y coordinates on the bottom part of the window?

This one though we'll probably have a look at! We have a ticket due soon along similar lines, to show selected object dimensions in the Inspector and to make them editable so you don't have to drag the mouse but can set sizes precisely.