PDA

View Full Version : Select all C# AND F# Notes

Erik in NJ
10-12-2013, 07:03 PM
If I create a fretboard with an Em pentatonic pattern and then overlay a C#m pentatonic pattern over it, it would be very handy to be able to select multiple notes for coloring. E.g. right click on C# then select "Select all C#s" and then Ctrl-click on F# then right-click on it. It would be very nice if there was a menu item "Also select all F#s" so that I could change the properties of multiple pitch classes in one shot as opposed to having to do the same operations on each pitch class sequentially.

This brings to mind another "nice to have". I'd really like to be able to use smaller Note Markers on certain notes--like the F#s and C#s for aestetic reasons.

One more item :) If I right click on a flet with no marker (let's say it's a G note), I'd like to be able to have a menu item that says "Add marker to all Gs".

Thanks for considering these features.

Justin
10-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I'd really like to be able to use smaller Note Markers on certain notes--like the F#s and C#s for aestetic reasons.

This is coming in v2!

so that I could change the properties of multiple pitch classes in one shot as opposed to having to do the same operations on each pitch class sequentially

A common UI paradigm is to hold down the SHIFT key to perform multiple selection - Neck Diagrams supports this also. So you could use the helper context menus to "Select all.." first and then hold down the SHIFT key and click on the additional markers you want to select. You can then set attributes in the Inspector for all items in the desired selection in one go.

It would be very nice if there was a menu item "Also select all F#s"

This was considered but I believe I came across issues and couldn't decide on the best approach. I'll raise a ticket to consider this further as the simplest solution would be for the context menus to still be available even in a mixed selection but to simply add the item under the mouse on right-click to the context. So even if min2's and Maj7's were selected then right clicking on b5's would simply offer to Select all b5s and add them to the existing selection - obviously the usual situation would be no prior selection so just the b5s get selected, but when there is a selection then it accumulates..

If I right click on a flet with no marker (let's say it's a G note), I'd like to be able to have a menu item that says "Add marker to all Gs".

Interesting idea! This could be done on the context menu when a marker creation tool is selected, although I think some way of augmenting the creation tool selection might be simpler, or perhaps as a shortcut? Perhaps a toggle on the toolbar to enable the "all" option or when you click on a G with the square/round/etc marker selected whilst holding down the SHIFT key then adds them all. And by all that means all in the visible fretboard range, of course!

Erik in NJ
10-13-2013, 08:52 PM
A common UI paradigm is to hold down the SHIFT key to perform multiple selection - Neck Diagrams supports this also. So you could use the helper context menus to "Select all.." first and then hold down the SHIFT key and click on the additional markers you want to select. You can then set attributes in the Inspector for all items in the desired selection in one go.

This was considered but I believe I came across issues and couldn't decide on the best approach. I'll raise a ticket to consider this further as the simplest solution would be for the context menus to still be available even in a mixed selection but to simply add the item under the mouse on right-click to the context. So even if min2's and Maj7's were selected then right clicking on b5's would simply offer to Select all b5s and add them to the existing selection - obviously the usual situation would be no prior selection so just the b5s get selected, but when there is a selection then it accumulates..

Interesting idea! This could be done on the context menu when a marker creation tool is selected, although I think some way of augmenting the creation tool selection might be simpler, or perhaps as a shortcut? Perhaps a toggle on the toolbar to enable the "all" option or when you click on a G with the square/round/etc marker selected whilst holding down the SHIFT key then adds them all. And by all that means all in the visible fretboard range, of course!

Well the Shift-left click really should select ALL notes on a particular string from the currently selected note marker to the one you are now clicking on. Right now I see it does the same thing as Ctrl-left click. Ctrl-left click should continue adding note markers to the current selection.

N.B. that I added an unneeded step above (sorry for the confusion) it is actually simpler than what I originally described.

E.g. You right-click on a C# note marker and choose "Select all C#s" from the menu, then I place the mouse over an F# note marker and Ctrl-right click then select "Select all F#s". This should effectively add all the F#s to the currently selected set of C#s. It all very simple and consistent. If I don't hold down the Ctrl key I will still see the same context menu, but my selected C#s will be replaced by a selection of all the F#s.

In giving this some more thought, it might be best to select a note marker and then be able to right-click on a fret that contains no note marker--let's say it's G#. The context menu should contain "Add note marker to this fret", "Add note marker to all G#s", "Add note markers to entire string", and "Add note markers to entire fretboard" . This way the currently selected note marker will be used for the addition and the operation will be unambiguous.