PDA

View Full Version : Can't Save "New Page (1)" etc.

Erik in NJ
10-14-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure if this is a bug or "feature," but if I create a number of new pages, I can't seem to save anything until I explicity give it a new name and ironically "New Page (1)" works, but I need to explicity type it in even though that is the default name for the page (without the .fbd extension which I don't believe is necessary if the below feature request is adopted). If I have just created an array of new pages and want to save then this is a lot of work and I get "n" of the same Save As windows that I need to fill out--this is a bit awkward.

And now a feature request that I believe will simplify things, the paradigm for creating a workbook, adding pages to it and saving it in Excel is much more straight forward and I would like to see it implemented in ND. Instead of creating a project that you can save pages to, you create a workbook and add pages as needed. When you save the workbook you save all of the pages. The default name "New Page (n)" is fine, but allow right-clicking on the page tab and rename the page. Select Save from the File menu and you are done. If you load a workbook all the pages defined in it are loaded in the same order they were saved. You can move pages around by dragging and dropping in the tab area. You can save a workbook in any directory. When the workbook is loaded, all of it pages are loaded, the "project" would then simply be the common directory that you saved your workbooks in. You could then have the ability to export some or all of your pages to a .pdf file, etc, etc.

Justin
10-15-2013, 05:20 AM
(Moving this to "Feature requests")

For v2 we've added multi-page document support, which will work similar to Powerpoint/Keynote where you'll be able to add new pages to the current document being worked on!

Erik in NJ
10-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm not really a Powerpoint user so I'm not sure how it works there, but it sounds reasonable :)

Justin
10-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Well it's visually similar to Word where you'll be able to scroll through the pages but to create a new page you'll need to specifically choose the option popping up the New Diagram Page template wizard or creating a blank page directly as chosen; rather than continuing to type beyond the bottom of a page as in Word, which doesn't make sense in ND.

Excel-workbook style wouldn't be the right conceptual model as most users will be approaching with a "book" concept rather than spreadsheet! :)