PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to clear the root note setting from the fretboard?

Erik in NJ
10-16-2013, 02:16 PM
I often get this message when I copy a fretboard from one page to another and select all notes and press the Backspace key to delete all of the note markers. I often see several note markers deleted first and then I get this dialog box. After I click on OK then it deletes the rest of the note markers. It is not clear, however, what this message means and why I'm seeing it.

Justin
10-18-2013, 09:07 AM
It’s quite simple really:

Do you want to clear the root note setting from the fretboard?
It’s triggered when a marker designated as the root gets deleted.

The “root” information is actually stored on the fretboard which provides the ability for showing intervals relative to a root without actually having to have the root marker visible.

So if you had a G7 chord but want to show it rootless then you can delete the root marker but select “No” to the “clear the root note” question and you will still have the intervals for the notes available relative to the G root even though it’s no longer showing.

This is actually demonstrated in this Tips & Tricks thread:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/showthread.php/30-Rootless-chords

I’ve raised a ticket to add some details to the documentation and to provide a “?” link on the dialog to open these details directly!

Erik in NJ
10-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks Justin for solving the mystery. I think it's OK to treat the deletion of all notes on the fretboard as implying that you want to delete the root note info. And I would suggest that you special case this scenario by not showing the dialog box in this case.

Regarding the check box "Only ask when the last root note has been deleted" at first glance I can't see any reason why you would want to be asked BEFORE the last root note is deleted since all intervals are relative to a single root, no?

Justin
10-22-2013, 01:03 PM
And I would suggest that you special case this scenario by not showing the dialog box in this case.

Hmm perhaps a "Clear fretboard" option..

I can't see any reason why you would want to be asked BEFORE the last root note is deleted since all intervals are relative to a single root, no?

I suppose it's for flexibility really - I try not to second guess people too much as sometimes decisions I've made have been based on incorrect assumptions! No one's said anything about this though so I don't suppose people are having issues with this.. (again, a possible bad assumption there ;) )

Erik in NJ
10-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Yes a clear fretboard option would be good especially in a context menu on a right click. I still think it's OK to "special case" deleting all note markers as implying that the root note info should be deleted too.

I think the dyalog box should come up before the note markers are deleted and not in the middle of the delete operation and only if all root markers are deleted with other non-root markers remaining.