PDA

View Full Version : ETA for version 2.0

mforester
12-31-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm considering buying a license but wanted to know when 2.0 is expected. I'd hate to buy 1.9 now and have to pay to upgrade to 2.0 if it is expected soon.

Thanks!

Dean
01-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Hi Mforester

Welcome to the ND forum and thank you for your interest in Neck Diagrams.

At this time I can't give you a specific date for V2 release, all I can say is it's planned for summer 2014.

So if you did buy now you'd still get at least 6 months use out of the current version, plus you'd be entitled to the very generous discount we'll be offering to existing customers wanting to upgrade to V2.

It's also worth bearing in mind we haven't finalised pricing structure for V2 yet. I'm not saying it will go up in price but I also can't promise it will remain at the current price either, so please bear that in mind.

I hope that answers you question but please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

mylesinfront
06-30-2015, 03:00 AM
Hi Dean

I've been regularly checking out the forums for when Version 2 will be coming out. The last mention I can find is in a Post from Grey Strummer back in March.

I am working with a group of people who are putting together a music tuition book and we intend to use the ND program for our fretboards. I asked a question in another forum about the output quality of the individual fretboards (not the entire page) and, at that time received a reply from you guys saying that V2 will address this.

We are well on our way to producing our book and have been Copy/Pasting our ND Fretboards directly into our book layout program. That does not produce very clear fretboards (as you would know) and, for now, they are adequate enough to give us a good idea of how the book layout will look. They're just there as placeholders really, while we await V2 which, hopefully, will provide a high enough quality output of fretboards for us to just replace those placeholder files with the better quality versions we hope ND V2 can provide.

I guess I have two questions really. One is the obvious: when will V2 be released? The second question is, can you provide any details as to how, or in what formats, V2 will allow export of individual fretboards? (Vectors, JPG, PNG, TIFF etc. ?)

I have read several suggestions about how to get better quality fretboards into other programs (Screenshots, bigger pages etc.) The Screenshot workaround does work well, but is far too labour intensive and capturing just the right bit of screen is a bit haphazard for our needs. In Volume 1 of our book alone there are around 150 separate fretboards, so you can see that Screenshots are really inefficient. The Bigger pages option, provides a better-than-"normal"-page-size result, but is still not as good a quality as the screenshot method.

We really are hoping ND V2 will provide several ways of exporting high quality fretboard output. Also, some accurate X and Y co-ordinate dialogues for fretboard sizes (perhaps in the Inspector) would be really useful for creating consistent fretboard sizes that need to vary from the originals (for our purposes) with the measurement units being available in points/pixels, mm, inches etc. (the same would be good for the Rulers and Guidelines). I wonder too if the bounding box around the fretboards could be made flush with the ends of the fretboard and any text above and below (Currently there's a small amount of white space, which makes accurate sizing more of a chore to align with other elements in our book).

I know we're hoping for a lot in this new V2, but we love ND and know that these features will really enhance our book and hopefully, commence some sort of affiliate business relationship with ND as well (but that's another topic).

thank you so much for all you do. Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Myles

Justin
06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Hi Myles,

We can't comment with any degree of certainty on timescales I'm afraid as we've learned the hard way that it's a moving target - it's incredibly hard to plan to a fixed date especially with our limited resources! And two-thirds of our team have had new family members arrive this year too :o

So we're not making any promises but we're working real hard to get it ready this year, as we've said here:

- http://www.neckdiagrams.com/wheres-version-2

Copy/paste actually does put exactly what you see on the screen onto the clipboard! If you paste into e.g. Preview (Mac) or a Window paint program then you'll see the exact original image that's in the clipboard. In our experience it's usually the target application that then modifies the image which changes the quality e.g. changing the size of a raster image results in blurriness or pixelisation.. (have you tried pasting in other images to your doc? I bet the same thing happens if they're not shown at 100% their original size!)

Re exporting, you'll be able to export individual elements from pages and we're aiming to also add support for SVG and TIFF formats. And the text editing will be much improved with rich-text support i.e. multiple styles/fonts.

BTW you can currently eliminate white space around fretboards by deselcting the "Show" option for the "Must/open string area" and by not having any legends!

HTH,
Justin