PDA

View Full Version : Red color for a root note on an open string?

fonnet
05-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi!

I just bought the pro version (yesterday after 30 min of trial) and it may be the most valuable software I ever bought! I make in 5 min what took me 1h on Illustrator. So a very big THANK YOU!

I found on this forum almost every answers to the questions I have left by using the software for 1 day and reading the help file.

But I've still some questions and maybe I missed something here or in the help.

Anyway, I wonder if there is a automatic way for an open string indicator to become red if it is a root note. I get around the problem by overriding the color to red but I wonder if I missed an preference setting or else.

Just to mention, I like the open round shape, I don't want to use the "draw notes/intervals on open strings" option for the open strings.

And again, I'm amazed on how your software is excellent!

I will create new threads for the other questions in order to make everything clearer in case of a search on the forum.

Best regards.

Justin
05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi,

So you want open string markers to highlight automatically when they're root notes, but you don't want them filled in... Looks like you can't currently do this I'm afraid.

You could have the marker filled in with the "Draw notes/intervals on open strings" option, then select the marker and change the style of the label to "None" so you don't get any text on it.

But the only way to keep it hollow is to override the colour manually to match the highlight colour, I'm afraid.

Will raise a ticket for this! Not sure how best to approach it - either another tick box for "Highlight root notes on open strings", or perhaps not having a special marker for open strings and just using the hollow round markers, although that'd be quite a change!

Thanks for your kind words & support!

fonnet
05-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your answer! I do it by overriding the color. But, my question may be naive, why root notes on open strings are not colored in red by default? I think that coloring the root notes means you want them all to appear on the diagram. Having a root note on an open string stay in black would be an exception from my point of view, not the contrary. But that's just how I see things!

monkeyballs82
06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
hey guys

hollow notes on open strings would be amazing! I am currently making a chart of all the notes along the fretboard without adding names and using hollow notes. This way students can use it as a worksheet and manually fill in the notes in with a pen as a way of learning where they are on the guitar. We need hollow notes on open strings!
Thanks again to the makers of this software as it is awesome!

fonnet
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
You can achieve that by overriding the note color in light grey for example, and drawing the outline. Look nice to me to make "guess charts" for students. Of course, you choose "None" for the label of the note.

Justin
06-01-2012, 04:06 PM
hey guys ... hollow notes on open strings would be amazing!

I guess your issue is that the regular note marker tools don't allow you to use them being the nut, right?!

Sounds like you haven't discovered the 2 tools for placing markers behind the nut?! :)
There's a special open string tool, whose icon is an O with a line under it representing the nut, i.e.

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/open-string-markers.png

..and there's also the 'mute' marker just above it, the X with the line under it.

You can use these to show open strings, or to mute them - I think that'll solve your issue! Although I bet you'll maybe ask for them to be bigger, as they're currently smaller than regular note markers..?! :D

Justin
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
But, my question may be naive, why root notes on open strings are not colored in red by default? I think that coloring the root notes means you want them all to appear on the diagram. Having a root note on an open string stay in black would be an exception from my point of view, not the contrary. But that's just how I see things!

To be honest I probably simply didn't think it through properly :o So when I get to the ticket for this I will give it some proper thought, but your suggestion is good!

gawfshot
07-20-2013, 06:11 AM
I guess your issue is that the regular note marker tools don't allow you to use them being the nut, right?!

Sounds like you haven't discovered the 2 tools for placing markers behind the nut?! :)
There's a special open string tool, whose icon is an O with a line under it representing the nut, i.e.

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/open-string-markers.png

..and there's also the 'mute' marker just above it, the X with the line under it.

You can use these to show open strings, or to mute them - I think that'll solve your issue! Although I bet you'll maybe ask for them to be bigger, as they're currently smaller than regular note markers..?! :D

I'd like open string roots to be identified, labeled, and red - just like the other roots. How?

Nick
07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi,

To achieve the option you wish check the option "show notes/intervals on open string markers" on the Board tab on the Inspector.

Regards

dmcclure
09-28-2016, 02:33 PM
I'd like to vote for this feature too. The open string indicators should be red (when they are the root note) just like the other dots.

Douglas

Justin
09-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Hi Douglas,

You can indeed make them red but that does require manually applying the colour..

We've reworked things for ND2 and have actually removed the special open string marker - you'll be able to place any kind anywhere you like, e.g. mute X's on any fret and the various shapes at the nut also. Which also means the root highlight rule gets preserved and applied as you'd expect!

dmcclure
09-28-2016, 03:13 PM
That's great to hear! The perfect solution.