PDA

View Full Version : Custom label and legend type

fonnet
05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi,

I've quite the same question regarding two similar features in the inspector:
- the "Legend Type" drop down menu for an entire diagram
- the "Style>Label" drop down menu for a note

I understand all the choices except "Custom". When I select it, it erase any label and I don't know where to type what I would like to be written in place of the other possibilities provided in the menu. I hoped I could enter with this option "3m" or "3-" in place of "b3" on a note and "ré" instead of "D" in a legend for example.

That lead me to another question: even if I missed the place to enter a custom legend or label, modifying all the pitch name to Latin name could be long. Have you consider to put in the preferences (Note Names and Intervals Names) the choice to Latin notation with do ré mi fa sol la si? Except for "sol" which is a little wider, the other are quite small (2 characters) and I think the usage would be for a Legend, not a Label. And same question about the intervals 2m, 3m, 3-, 6m, M7? (I'm French, I'm coming out :D, these interval names sold me out anyway!)

Best regards.

Justin
05-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes, you can indeed set your own text! You might find this thread (http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/showthread.php/66-Custom-Note-Label) helpful.

But the key is to first right-click on a note and select the "Set custom label..." option! :)

Have you consider to put in the preferences (Note Names and Intervals Names) the choice to Latin notation with do ré mi fa sol la si? Except for "sol" which is a little wider, the other are quite small (2 characters) and I think the usage would be for a Legend, not a Label.

I've been asked about the Solfege system (haven't heard it called Latin before) and I do have a ticket to add "Fixed Solfege" note names as an option. BTW the up-coming 1.9 release will allow you to enter 3 character custom labels, so 'sol' shouldn't be an issue, wherever it goes!

And same question about the intervals 2m, 3m, 3-, 6m, M7? (I'm French, I'm coming out , these interval names sold me out anyway!)

You'll need to tell me about the intervals your suggesting - is that a European standard? A Wikipedia link or something would be very handy, or just spell out the names for me! I think it might be useful to have a 'Custom' option in the preferences so users can also enter whatever system they use - but adding more standard systems also would be good.

fonnet
05-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Yes, you can indeed set your own text! You might find this thread (http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/showthread.php/66-Custom-Note-Label) helpful.

But the key is to first right-click on a note and select the "Set custom label..." option! :)

Damn, I missed it for the note! Thanks! But for the Legend, it's quite a work as you have to reenter custom labels for every notes!

I've been asked about the Solfege system (haven't heard it called Latin before) and I do have a ticket to add "Fixed Solfege" note names as an option. BTW the up-coming 1.9 release will allow you to enter 3 character custom labels, so 'sol' shouldn't be an issue, wherever it goes!

It's often called Latin because the name of the note are from the first syllables of words from a religious Latin hymn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solf%C3%A8ge#Origin

You'll need to tell me about the intervals your suggesting - is that a European standard? A Wikipedia link or something would be very handy, or just spell out the names for me! I think it might be useful to have a 'Custom' option in the preferences so users can also enter whatever system they use - but adding more standard systems also would be good.

In French, it's these abbreviations:

Tableau des intervalles (intervals table)

(name, quantity, quality, abbreviation)
Unisson
0 ton : juste : 1

Secondes
1/2 ton : mineure : 2m
1 ton : majeure : 2M

Tierces
1 ton1/2 : mineure : 3m
2 tons : majeure : 3M

Quartes
2 ton 1/2 : juste : 4
3 tons : augmentée : 4+

Quintes
3 tons : diminuée : 5- (barré obliquement) (the 5 is slashed if possible, the - is for computer writing)
3 tons 1/2 : juste : 5
4 tons : augmentée : 5+

Sixtes
4 tons : mineure : 6m
4 tons 1/2 : majeure : 6M

Septièmes
5 tons : mineure : 7m
5 tons1/2 : majeure : 7M

Octave
6 tons : juste : 8

If you have further question on this one, don't hesitate to ask me!

Justin
08-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Presumably it's only the 'abbreviation' part that you'd want to show on a diagram? It's the only bit that's fit onto a note marker anyway! The slashed-5 will probably be a problem unless I can find a font that supports it (do you know of one?)

This also seems like a format I've seen before but I guess the anglicised version has the letter leading the number, e.g. m2, m6, M7, I think? But -/+ still follows the number iirc..

fonnet
08-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Presumably it's only the 'abbreviation' part that you'd want to show on a diagram?

Yes!

It's the only bit that's fit onto a note marker anyway! The slashed-5 will probably be a problem unless I can find a font that supports it (do you know of one?)

Unfortunately no, I never found a font with a slashed 5 :(. "5-" is a good alternative.

This also seems like a format I've seen before but I guess the anglicised version has the letter leading the number, e.g. m2, m6, M7, I think? But -/+ still follows the number iirc..

Exactly, it's used in English and the abbreviation is reversed. "minor second" -> m2, "seconde mineure" -> 2m.

Thank you for your interest in the French naming of intervals!

Justin
08-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Hi Fonnet,

Finally we're adding Fixed Do Solfege! Although got a few questions, posted in another thread I came across first so would be great if you could have a look.. :)

- Some Fixed Do Solfege questions (http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/showthread.php/914-Do-Re-Mi-for-C-D-E?p=2037&viewfull=1#post2037)