PDA

View Full Version : Piano charts!

Johnland
06-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Hey folks!

I was wondering if there were plans to implement customizable keyboard charts. I've looked around a bit, and I haven't found anything like ND for keys (well, there is ONE software, but it's still in development).

I'd love to have ND's chart making capabilities available for use with my piano students. I have some blank charts now that I use, but I'd like to make customizable charts without spending tons of time in Publisher.

Justin
06-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Hey!

Yes we already have a ticket to add support for keyboard diagrams :)

Can't guarantee it'll be in v2.0 - more likely v2.1 I think.. What's the other thing in the works? Maybe we should shift some things around to get this into 2.0?!! ;)

Johnland
06-28-2014, 08:26 PM
I've signed an NDA, so I can't really discuss is :p. While it has charts, the software serves another purpose and shouldn't be direct competition to yours.

However, if you still feel like squeezing into 2.0, I definitely wouldn't stop you, hah!

Justin
07-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Well I guess we'll have to see what we can do! Going to have to review all the outstanding features/tickets for v2 ;)

Johnland
12-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Hello Justin!

I just wanted to see if piano charts are on the table for 2.0! I'm not sure how other instructors feel about it, but for me it would be the most important/useful thing I can think of having build into ND!

Justin
12-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Hey!

It's definitely something that has support, as there's a few emails attached to the ticket in our system, plus I just spotted a recent post on the forum (http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/showthread.php/911-Keyboard-Diagrams) about this (users first post which was sitting waiting to be approved.. oops!)

You know what we're like with timescales, and there's things brewing promising to make 2015 quite challenging, in a good way mind you!, so I'm not going to try to make promises about when :)

It'll happen, maybe in 2.0 with any luck otherwise 2.1 !

JazzGuitarLessons
12-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Yes, this would be useful not just for piano students (they already know the keyboard because it's pretty easy to visualize), but especially for guitar students who are just starting to get their theory together. I've been looking for something like this for quite awhile and nobody really "gets it." There are guys out there who have a keyboard with a list of chords (leaving off tons of important chords that jazz players use every day) that fill themselves in based on your selection. They also seem to be written by guys who are much better programmers than pianists, because the chord voicings they yield are really lame and not the ones that actual jazz pianists use on a daily basis. And from a teaching standpoint, what's really needed is a program like Neck Diagrams that allows us to simply click where we want to place the notes and have some control over how they will be displayed (whether to use a sharp/flat, double-flat, double-sharp, chord/scale degrees, solfege, etc.). I use Neck Diagrams daily with my students and would love to have this functionality when I'm teaching them theory.

Johnland
01-13-2015, 11:30 PM
Yes, this would be useful not just for piano students (they already know the keyboard because it's pretty easy to visualize), but especially for guitar students who are just starting to get their theory together. I've been looking for something like this for quite awhile and nobody really "gets it." There are guys out there who have a keyboard with a list of chords (leaving off tons of important chords that jazz players use every day) that fill themselves in based on your selection. They also seem to be written by guys who are much better programmers than pianists, because the chord voicings they yield are really lame and not the ones that actual jazz pianists use on a daily basis. And from a teaching standpoint, what's really needed is a program like Neck Diagrams that allows us to simply click where we want to place the notes and have some control over how they will be displayed (whether to use a sharp/flat, double-flat, double-sharp, chord/scale degrees, solfege, etc.). I use Neck Diagrams daily with my students and would love to have this functionality when I'm teaching them theory.

I know exactly how you feel! One day :).

JazzGuitarLessons
04-05-2015, 10:46 PM
Any word on when version 2.0 is coming out and whether it will have the ability to do piano keyboards? :-)

Dean
04-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Hi

Nothing concrete on either of these I'm afraid. We're hard at work on v2 but aren't in a position to publish an ETA just yet, we miscalculated our last big release :( and we don't want to give the user base false hope again.

Piano diagrams is something we're keen to add but we're unsure if it'll possible to implement in time.

Thanks
Dean