PDA

View Full Version : ND could really use a basic chord library or ability to create custom libraries

jazzadellic
08-19-2014, 08:08 PM
I read a response to another thread where Dean did confirm that a chord generator or library of some sort was something already planned. But I just wanted to add a few comments on it. I realize that the software does exactly what it says it will do: create diagrams, and is not "chord encyclopedia". But at the very least, I should have the ability to save chord diagrams I create in some sort of library. Actually they should automatically be saved every time I create a chord diagram that is not already in my user chord library, once I hit the normal file save button. Maybe a confirmation dialogue could pop up "Add new chords to user chord library?" Now the real clincher of this feature is I should then be able to right click on blank diagram and have some sub menus that will let me choose the chord from my library. Or perhaps two options: one option to add a chord from the "default" chord library that hopefully will come with the software when you buy it. This could be a series of menus that you choose the root, type, and then precise voicing you want. Come to think of it, when you save a custom chord to your user library a window should pop up where you tell it what the root and type is. Therefore when you right click on an blank neck diagram you have basically the option to go on the default chord library or user library and then choose the root, type, voicing etc...

I'm sure there are other ways the menu system could go as well. Like perhaps a window pops open and have a chord library menu on the left and a small sized view of what your page will look like on the right and then you could maybe scroll through your library by type or root or something, and then drag and drop the chord you want on the mini page view.

Anyways for me this is the most noticeable and significant improvement that could be made to ND. Other than that, ND is definitely the best at making custom neck diagrams that I have seen. But many of the other softwares I have tried with custom neck diagram creation, also already had some type of basic chord library feature. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Dean
08-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Hi Jazzadelic

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

A chord generator / dictionary is something we're very keen to add. I have no details on how it'll work yet but be assured it is definitely high up on our list of features to add.

But at the very least, I should have the ability to save chord diagrams I create in some sort of library. Actually they should automatically be saved every time I create a chord diagram that is not already in my user chord library, once I hit the normal file save button.

I'm not sure we'd go about automatically saving custom chord shapes. I guess we'd have to come up with a way for the user to mark the fretboard in question as a chord fretboard to eliminate any arpeggios and scales being accidentally added to the chord liabrary. Saving custom chords will more than likely be an option just like you can create custom interval maps in the Scale Generator.

Now the real clincher of this feature is I should then be able to right click on blank diagram and have some sub menus that will let me choose the chord from my library.

Not sure on any UI aesthetics yet but I imagine something that opens up in a floating window after interaction with the fretboard. Either by mouse click, menu item or key board command.

Or perhaps two options: one option to add a chord from the "default" chord library that hopefully will come with the software when you buy it

It'll definitely have some kind chord dictionary built in to it, again much like the scale generator. We want to make it easier for users to create chords from the off and not have to build an arsenal of chords first. And of course ND is used by musicians of varying levels so we wouldn't expect beginners to have to specify a root or voicing they may not understand.

Hopefully that answers a few things and gives a little insight, not that I have much detail to give at this point.

Have you signed up to our newsletter? This is the best way to get notified of any updates, competitions and promotions. It in right hand sidebar on the following page - http://www.neckdiagrams.com/features

Regards
Dean

Dean
08-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Me again ;)

Forgot to check that you know about copying and pasting fret boards between projects? Granted it's not an ideal method but a worthy substitute until a chord generator is implemented.

If you've already created pages with chord shapes in you can quickly open copy and paste into the doc you're working on. Might save a bit of time instead of re-creating new diagrams. And don't forget you can split the screen between docs to make it a little easier. Just drag the document tab to the right hand side of the screen until the new outline appears.

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/images/zendesk/Views/split_screen_left_right.jpg

Thanks