PDA

View Full Version : Support Instruments with Diatonic Fretting

FenianEMT
12-26-2014, 05:46 PM
I am currently using Neck Diagrams to help me take notes on the theory book I'm reading, and it's great for guitar.

One thing I would like to be better able to do, though, is to create diagrams for my Seagull Merlin, which has a diatonic fretting. So far I haven't been able to figure out a way to do this in the Instrument Library. It might also be nice to be able to diagram paired strings (like the two high D strings on the Merlin), but this isn't as critical since I can just treat them as one string if necessary.

This would also benefit anybody who is trying to make diagrams for the mountain dulcimer.

Dean
01-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Hi FenianEMT

Apologies for the delay, holiday season and all.

Hands up, I've never heard of the Merlin before. Looking at the manual from Seagull it's tuned low to high D, A, DD (the latter being in unison). Now I'm sure you've sussed that bit out in ND which is pretty easy. As for the diatonic fretting system, I'm afraid that's a little beyond ND at this point in time.

We've had a bit of interest in creating microtonal instruments which I guess you could tweak to create the Merlin neck but we've not even started on that yet as it's just a handful of guys requesting it. All I can do at this time is add your request to to the list and strengthen it. And like you say it would benefit the Dulcimer players.

Regards
Dean