PDA

View Full Version : Low Resolution for Printing on all Neck Diagrams

bparham79
07-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Hello Everyone,

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered, but the search function has never worked for me on this forum.

Anyways, I just spent two-years writing a rock guitar method for kids, and I am in the process of uploading the pdf to Create Space for publication, but I'm receiving warnings from Create Space about the resolution of the image. Essentially, the resolution is lower than 300 dpi, and I would like to fix the problem as the book is full of diagrams created with this program.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for all the great tips.

Justin
07-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Hi,

I'm guessing you didn't create the PDF in Neck Diagrams, right? If you did then the graphics wouldn't be images but vector graphics ie scalable and DPI becomes irrelevant..

bparham79
07-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi,

I'm guessing you didn't create the PDF in Neck Diagrams, right? If you did then the graphics wouldn't be images but vector graphics ie scalable and DPI becomes irrelevant..

Hi Justin,

I copied and pasted the image from Neck Diagrams and placed it into an Open Office document because each image is part of a much larger body of work. From there, I converted the Open Office into a PDF. The PDF looks great, but when I load it into Create Space, I get the DPI warning.

Any suggestions?

bparham79
07-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Hi,

Hi Justin,

I created the images in Neck Diagrams then copied them into an Open Office document because each image is part of a much larger body of work. At the end, I converted the Open Office document to a PDF. Finally, I uploaded the PDF to Create Space for print. That's when I received the warning regarding the resolution size.

Justin
07-17-2015, 05:14 PM
I thought it'd be something like that! Copy/paste works at the screen resolution, we didn't really expect it to be used for publishing purposes I'm afraid, but we're working to enhance this area..

You'll probably want to have a read through this thread:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/showthread.php/20-Exporting-Diagrams?p=85&viewfull=1#post85

There's a few suggestions there - one involves Photoshop and the other Mac's Preview.

If you've neither Photoshop nor a Mac then the approach you'd need to take would be to copy paste your fretboards into custom large pages in ND and resize them to fill the page (if they're horizontal boards you just make the page wider than it is tall!). The numbers on the page rulers are pixels so if you're on Windows multiply those by around 4 (as Windows is 96 DPI by default), so once you have big fretboards you can export them to bigger image files, however you might then need to process them in a pic editor to set the DPI correctly.

Also you'll want to check if OpenOffice handles high DPI images correctly or not! I'd suggest you find a test 300DPI image and paste it into OpenOffice and see what happens, as it could scale it up or transform it in some way..

HTH

MyGuitarThing
08-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Gimp does almost everything that Photoshop does....except it's free.