How to show note info on open strings

• Having problems labelling open strings in the software?
    • Want the open strings markers to display the same information as the markers on the fretboard?

It's pretty simple once you know how! Here's a fretboard with some open strings:

The key part is to select the fretboard and check the option "Draw notes/intervals on open strings" on the Board tab of the Inspector fretboard options, like this:

The open strings got filled in and now show the intervals relative to the root note. If you want to show notes instead of intervals, just change the "Note marker labels" drop down list to Notes:

Remember that the fretboard "Note marker labels" option acts as a master switch for the whole fretboard - you don't need to change the setting for each note! (but if you want to show different info on any notes then just override it individually for them)

Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

New user here:

Even though this is clearly explained in the post above I am unable to get notes to show on the open strings. I know this is an older thread but was wondering if either 1) changes have been made to the software as I am unable to even find the note marker label drop down box shown below the check box shown and/or 2) I have something set in my preferences that is over riding this option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way... Love the software!

Welcome!

Yes this is an old thread and indeed the Inspector has changed since the above screenshot

The "Note marker labels" field is now located nearer the top, just below "Starting fret". Have a look at the more current screenshot in this thread:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/s...ull=1#post1326
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I'm off to work now & will spend more time this evening but quickly looking at my diagrams I see the changes made w/ the new position of the note marker labels field. I can toggle on/off both the show & fill string areas and there is a response on the diagram but still unable to get the notes/intervals to show when checking the draw notes/intervals on open string box.

I currently have the board selected, draw on open strings box checked and note marker set to notes but nothing shows. No apparent changes when box is unchecked. I guess that's why I was wondering about a global setting in my preferences over riding something. I'll also check possible color issues this evening as perhaps it's showing but everything is just white? These changes should take affect whether this is a previously created diagram or a fresh one, correct?

Justin...

After a little quiet time I see what I was missing. Left side bar, open circle w/ line beneath = open string marker. Ha!
    I'm really looking forward to continuing to work with & learn this software. Thanks for the effort you put into it and for your assistance. Well done on both counts ~

This was helpful even though it was posted years ago. The added pictorial explanation even made it easier to grasp.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear this is still proving useful 5 years on

Thanks
    Dean

Here's an updated screenshot for ND2, showing how to enable note/interval information on open strings:

There is of course a similar setting in Preferences, so you can enable this by default for all new fretboards.

We're actually probably going to remove these settings at some point in the future so open string note markers work the same as regular ones on the fretboard!
    Last edited by Justin; 10-19-2021 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added Preferences screenshot
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information