More Feature Requests

Hello,
    The following are suggestions for new features--listed not in any particularly order.
    I suspect some of these have already been submitted by others.

Major New Features
    • Add CSS-inspired "Styles" option to apply global formatting changes to elements in a diagram document, a feature found in most word processing programs such as Libreoffice (H1, H2, H3). For example, all notes with a selected colour could be change by simply altering a defined Note style, or the font of fretboard titles could be changed by simply altering a Heading style.
    • Add more drawing tools (shapes and lines) for annotation.
    • Add the ability to export, individual and batch, images at a definable resolution (e.g., 300 dpi) for easier import into other documents.

Minor New Features
    • Add ability to "View" margins of page, not just Grid.
    • Improve Clipboard options. When pasting, replace selected element (e.g., fretboard) with previously copied one, a default behaviour in most layout apps. Currently, the image has to be deleted first, before pasting the contents of the clipboard. This would make it easier to replace diagrams with other ones. Also, add another right-click copy option "Swap with Clipboard" that swaps the currently selected element with the one in the clipboard, again to make it easier to change layout.

Thanks, Sam

Hi Sam

Thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestions. My responses are below

Add CSS-inspired "Styles" option to apply global formatting changes to elements in a diagram document, a feature found in most word processing programs such as Libreoffice (H1, H2, H3).
    Do you mean a 'Style' drop-down menu, just like the one in the formatting toolbar of LO and other apps? Or is there some tool in LO where you can literally select an element such as H1 and enter custom CSS? What if you want two H1 elements in a doc both a different colour - does LO let you add a class to each?

For example, all notes with a selected colour could be changed by simply altering a defined Note style
    Like a 'Find and Replace' which identifies the element/note marker by HEX/RGB?

Add more drawing tools (shapes and lines) for annotation.
    We have new shapes and a polyline tool already coming. Lines can be placed over or around any other element and has the usual style options for a line tool.

Add the ability to export, individual and batch, images at a definable resolution (e.g., 300 dpi) for easier import into other documents.
    Again already coming. Many more file formats, user-defined DPI and an option to export all diagrams on the page or just the selected to separate image files in one swoop. Option for transparent backgrounds will also be available on file formats that support it.

Improve Clipboard options. When pasting, replace selected element (e.g., fretboard) with previously copied one,
    'Paste in place' I think it's called in some apps, or is it 'Paste and replace', one of them. Copying note markers between fretboards is coming

I think that covers everything, most of which we already seem to have in progress.

Thanks
    Dean

Hello Dean,
    I actually mean a standard drop-down styles sheet as you mentioned, not CSS code. For example, by applying a style to specific notes with this feature, one could change the formatting by simply changing the style, without having to reselect these notes. (I didn't mean "'Find and Replace' which identifies the element/note marker by HEX/RGB", although that sounds cool)

Thanks for considering my suggestions.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Hi Sam

Thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestions. My responses are below

Do you mean a 'Style' drop-down menu, just like the one in the formatting toolbar of LO and other apps? Or is there some tool in LO where you can literally select an element such as H1 and enter custom CSS? What if you want two H1 elements in a doc both a different colour - does LO let you add a class to each?

Like a 'Find and Replace' which identifies the element/note marker by HEX/RGB?

We have new shapes and a polyline tool already coming. Lines can be placed over or around any other element and has the usual style options for a line tool.

Again already coming. Many more file formats, user-defined DPI and an option to export all diagrams on the page or just the selected to separate image files in one swoop. Option for transparent backgrounds will also be available on file formats that support it.

'Paste in place' I think it's called in some apps, or is it 'Paste and replace', one of them. Copying note markers between fretboards is coming

I think that covers everything, most of which we already seem to have in progress.

Thanks
    Dean

Thread Information