Custom Note Markers

In neck diagram II, When you use a custom size note label (and/or custom font size) the result on the diagram is not acceptable. The label is almost never centered in the enclosing circle. Sometimes it is too high, sometimes too low, sometimes skewed right or skewed left. And, it can be off-center in a variety of directions in the same graphic.

It would be very nice if you could fix this.
    Last edited by Jazzstudent; 05-19-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Is anyone going to address this issue. It has been mentioned before.

Hi Jazzstudent,

We've been waiting to get more details from folks about this - we've not been able to reproduce it at will at our end, I'm afraid!

If you have some .fbd's demonstrating this, could you email them over to us please? Information about your system will also be needed, for example:

• what operating system & version are you running?
    • what resolution is your screen?
    • if Mac, is this Retina - and is it the default Retina resolution or being scaled (large text <--> more space)?
    • if Windows, what display or font scaling settings do you have?

Thanks!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

I have the same experience with ND2 (and previously ND1). Labels are never properly centered. I primarily show interval labels, but it doesn't matter if I use default or custom labels. I have reported this before and sent it project files and screenshots. Also, the sharp/flat (b/#) font is often larger than the interval number; they should ideally scale proportionally when you resize a fretboard.

I'll be happy to help troubleshoot this any way I can. Let me know if you need anything else.

Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763)
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Scale: 100% (same result with 125%)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Hi Jazzstudent,

We've been waiting to get more details from folks about this - we've not been able to reproduce it at will at our end, I'm afraid!

If you have some .fbd's demonstrating this, could you email them over to us please? Information about your system will also be needed, for example:

• what operating system & version are you running?
    • what resolution is your screen?
    • if Mac, is this Retina - and is it the default Retina resolution or being scaled (large text <--> more space)?
    • if Windows, what display or font scaling settings do you have?

Thanks!
    I've had this problem for years, across v1 and now v2. I've always had a 4k display, and it used to be that I could center the custom labels by dropping Windows scaling down to 100%. It was annoying, but it got the job done. I would do this whenever I had to write up a diagram, then switch back. Now I've returned to ND after some time away to see that even with scaling settings the markers are terribly offset. It's a dealbreaker for me if I can't get this working. To be clear, I LOVE this software, but it's not useful if the diagrams come out looking sloppy like this. I've attached an example, and my settings:

Windows 10, latest version
    3 4k displays, also had this problem in single 4k display years ago
    Scaling is set to 150% by default but I have tried changing it to 125 and 100 with no effect. Used to be that it was fixed when set to 100%. Not anymore. Hope this is helpful, I'm more than happy to upgrade to v2.0 if we can get this fixed!!

Interesting update to this problem. I just open my rarely used laptop that still has an old trial copy of ND1 on it. The screen is 1080p and 100% scaling. I made a quick diagram, and the markers were centered. I was pretty happy. I uninstalled and downloaded ND2, assuming it would be the same. Nope, I'm back to off-center note labels. I assumed it was a 4k or scaling thing, but it appears not.

Hi Tim,

Yes, there's definitely text issues on Windows where the scaling is not 100% or 200%! I'm not aware of any issues at 100% scaling - if you're switching scaling be aware that you'll have to reboot or at least log out/in and restart ND before the change will get picked up, so could be that happened - the change won't get applied on the fly.

We've actually been working on this for the upcoming ND 2.2 release so things should be much improved at the "in between' scalings (125% etc).

If you can still get issues at 100% scaling could you email in some screenshots, and the .fbd file so we can open it and try to replicate that?!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information