I frequently want to label a particular note with two fingerings, e.g. one ascending and one descending, or to show an alternative. We can do this by creating a textbox; but I do this quite a lot, so a more automated mechanism would save time. I can imagine two ways to do this:

1. Create a new tool that adds a small borderless textbox, sized for a single digit, placed (e.g.) below and to the right of the note. We could then drag it to a different position if needed, and modify the text/size if needed. By default, put the note's fingering in the box. This would also let us include both note/interval labeling plus fingering for certain notes.

2. Create a new option button on a note, like "draw an outline," that says "add textbox." It would then add a textbox next to the selected note, as described above. The link between the note and the box could either be maintained, so that the box would be included in copy/paste operations; or not maintained, so that the box would simply become a standard textbox (with no relationship to the note).

In addition to fingerings, this mechanism could be used for descriptive info like "descending" or "if minor" etc.