Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There's actually no need for any extra software to do this on OSX.

If you open a PDF in Preview (OSX's native viewer for PDF), select [file] > [export] in the menu, then choose JPEG from the dropdown. You'll now see a box to input your desired DPI. Change to 300, save and that's it.

I imagine whatever opens PDF by default on windows could do the same thing but I've not used windows in years.

Another point — graphics professionals using the diagrams for print would be happy with a PDF since (assuming they contain vectors - I don't own the software yet to be sure) it could be resized infinitely regardless of the original size. If they needed a raster for any reason they could generate it easily from the PDF, but not vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by playgood View Post
    - I do quite fine with resolution 500 dpi and a picture hight of 2 inch (200 pixes/cm, 5 cm hight).
    There's unlikely to be any reason for you to need 500dpi, 300 is adequate for any printing.

If there is a special reason just ignore me, but otherwise you're just making files bigger than they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkitsnice View Post
    If you open a PDF in Preview (OSX's native viewer for PDF), select [file] > [export] in the menu, then choose JPEG from the dropdown. You'll now see a box to input your desired DPI. Change to 300, save and that's it.
    Oh wow - FANTASTIC tip! Just tried this out and works a treat. Here's the sort of thing you get:

I always prefer to use PNG over JPG as it's not compressed/lossy like JPG, but I guess the type you need depends on the people you're working with!

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkitsnice
    I imagine whatever opens PDF by default on windows could do the same thing but I've not used windows in years.
    I don't believe there is anything default on Windows! I imagine 99% of Windows users will have Adobe PDF Reader installed - no idea if that lets you export in this way though...
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkitsnice View Post
    Another point — graphics professionals using the diagrams for print would be happy with a PDF since (assuming they contain vectors - I don't own the software yet to be sure) it could be resized infinitely regardless of the original size.
    Yes, Neck Diagrams exports PDFs with vectors so fretboards/text will scale perfectly! But images added to pages stay as rasters because they can't be vectorised, just like you say
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Smile Finally a real quick solution for a relatively Hi-res Export

I've been struggling with the high resolution export issue in Neck Diagrams, since I had drawn hundreds of diagrams for my book, only to find out later that I cannot simply copy/paste them in other Applications such as Word, Pages or Adobe InDesign etc. And I've been waiting for this issue to be fixed for almost two years now.
    Today, after a desperate mail exchange with Justin, I suddenly realized that I hadn't tried one of the simplest solutions, and when I tried it, bingo, it worked:
    On Mac OSX, simply "Command+Control+Shift+4" will let you make a selection on your screen with cross-hairs and copy the selection as a screenshot to your clipboard.
    So make your diagram as big as it fits on the screen, then "Command+Control+Shift+4", and the result is almost like 300dpi when you paste it in another application.
    This is the quickest work-around for me, until it is ACTUALLY solved in Neck Diagrams itself.
    I hope this helps some of you out there
    Last edited by caglayanyildiz; 01-23-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caglayanyildiz View Post
    ..I cannot simply copy/paste them in other Applications such as Word, Pages or Adobe InDesign etc.
    Not strictly true Caglayan You can copy/paste at the screen resolution. Do word processors like Word or Pages cope with hi-dpi images? I've always found that if not set to 100% scaling those kinds of apps just butcher the image quality..

Anyways, just to fill in others interested in this topic here's the current plan:

• we'll bump up the priority of this and will start investigating end of Feb or in March
    • we'll aim to add a scale factor option to the Export dialog - e.g. 2x, 4x, 8x (4x 72dpi on a Mac will be almost 300 dpi) - is Windows 96dpi? might need to add 3x
    • there's already a ticket to export facility to export just a selection from a page; we'll also add an option for exporting all fretboards on a page individually - which would save selecting each of 7 fretboards and then exporting each one! Seeing as you can export multiple pages in one go already, this would be quite a time saver!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Wanted to quickly update this thread as I've just found another great FREE solution, at least for Mac users

It turns out that Preview in Mavericks (Mac OS X 10.9) allows export from PDF with control over the DPI!
    Not sure if this was supported in Mountain Lion or earlier, could've been..

So, just export to PDF and then open the PDF in Preview, then click on menu File > Export... :

Now if you select e.g. PNG format you can specify the DPI in the Resolution box like this:

And so you have it, quick, easy and cheap!

We'll also have the ability to do this directly in ND in v2, and to export just a selection (e.g. a fretboard) rather than the whole page.. Which'll make things easier, especially for Windows users!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Hi there, I'm reading this thread with great interest. I love your software and it is paying for itself over and over again.

I desperately need the ability to get a 300dpi for printing off my PC for an upcoming book project. Are we any further along with this yet? I can't see a tangible solution for exporting/copy and pasting into word right now. I'd be very grateful of a clear solution that doesn't involve going via photoshop etc.

Thanks

Hi Jopheza

v2 will see new export options as per previous posts in this thread, but that's not planned for release until end of 2014 (all being well that is).

Are you saying the pages you're printing from ND aren't a high enough quality? Or are you trying to export and put into MS Word or another program?

Regards
    Dean

Hi, It's the quality of copying and pasting into word that is the issue. I really need these to be 300DPI.

Is there any easy way to get these images out of ND and into word at 300dpi on a PC?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Hi Jopheza

v2 will see new export options as per previous posts in this thread, but that's not planned for release until end of 2014 (all being well that is).

Are you saying the pages you're printing from ND aren't a high enough quality? Or are you trying to export and put into MS Word or another program?

Regards
    Dean

Thread Information