'Rootless' chords

You may want to create chord boxes where the root note is implied (e.g. played by the bass)...

But, how do you show the intervals for your chord notes relative to the implied root when you don't want to add the root note to the diagram?!

Well it turns out there's two ways you can do this; a neater way, and another way using a cunning trick

Here's the neat way first...

Let's use a G13 chord, but we don't want to show the root note. Normally the chord would look like this:

The key to this approach is knowing that the legend only shows information for notes that are visible on the fretboard. So, let's move the root note some place where it won't be visible...
    Last edited by Justin; 12-19-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: The 2nd image had the root as F# throwing off the intervals! Now corrected ;)
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

And the cunning trick? Well, if we go back to our regular G13 and select the root:

Now just delete the root note! The fretboard knows what the root is, regardless of it not being there anymore
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Great trick!! it would be great at least for me if I could really choose the fret numbers I want to show in these chord diagrams, I only need one fret number, most of the time I put the number of the fret where the root is (or would be)......

So I'm guessing you know about the option to show fret numbers at the starting fret only?

But, I know... that's not quite what you're after!

Maybe a fourth option in the drop-down list would be handy "At specific fret only" and when you choose it'd maybe popup a little window you can tap in the fret number you want. Or a text box becomes visible to the right of the list...

Will raise a ticket for this for a future release. If you've got any ideas about the best way to enter/capture the info needed that's better than my first guesses above then fire away!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

For each of these "rootless" chords, the pianist plays the 3rd and then adds three more notes.

Thread Information