Scale generator should not require root

Custom interval maps appear to require the root as part of the arpeggio -- I can't seem to clear the root 'dot'. That is obviously not always what we want (e.g. dominant 9th with no root). (Unless I'm missing some usage feature here.)
    -- Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by spinality View Post
    Custom interval maps appear to require the root as part of the arpeggio -- I can't seem to clear the root 'dot'. That is obviously not always what we want (e.g. dominant 9th with no root). (Unless I'm missing some usage feature here.)
    Hi Trevor,

Does this post help you out? - http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/s...ootless-chords

Kind Regards,
    Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by fsenseman View Post
    Does this post help you out? - http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/s...ootless-chords Fleet
    Hi Fleet. Actually I had already figured out how to create rootless chords. My issue was strictly with the scale generator, which wants to insert the root in whatever pattern is being created. It's easy to go and delete the roots (or what I do quite often, change them to light gray). However when I generate 24-fret 8-string patterns, this gives me a lot of ROOTs to delete.

Not a big deal, just something to tweak in a future update. -- Trevor
    -- Trevor

Ah, I misunderstood. Didn't realize you were speaking of the scale generator. I haven't used the custom interval maps feature yet (not that advanced at the moment....) I'm sure as ND matures we'll see lots of new, cool features.

Kind Regards,
    Fleet

I'm trying to think why I made the root fixed and I can't remember right now! Maybe that means there was no obvious logic but was just an assumption..

Having it selected by default is fine I guess but would make sense to allow it to be deselected, as you say.

I'll raise a ticket, but my default position will be that it won't be done in the upcoming 1.9 release I'm afraid . I will have a quick look-see as it could turn out to be a 5 minute fix, but my concern is there's possibly something in the generator algorithms that require a root.. I feel some unit tests coming on

At least 1.9 will make it easier to select all roots in one action via the new 'select special' feature!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm trying to think why I made the root fixed and I can't remember right now! Maybe that means there was no obvious logic but was just an assumption.. ...my concern is there's possibly something in the generator algorithms that require a root...
    It's not a biggie anyway, just a UI consistency issue.

If it turns out you do need the root in there for historical reasons, another useful change would be adding a color that means "invisible". Then you could set the root highlight to 'invisible.' There are situation where I would like to flip a particular set of notes on and off, rather than actually deleting them.

In fact consider that a distinct feature request: for an 'invisible' color.
    -- Trevor

Thread Information