Copy/paste and drag/copy notes

This has probably already been requested but I didn't find it. I frequently want to copy a block of notes within a fretboard or between fretboards.

I know I can already ctrl-drag/copy within a fretboard, which also preserves all the colors, lines, etc. (Enhanced select/paste special functions might let me ignore the formatting, or perhaps just paste aspects of the formatting. Those would be helpful features.) UPDATE: Would be nice if the drag/pasted notes remained selected after dropping them; then I could change their color etc. en masse. Also nice if I could change shape (triangle, circle, etc.) en masse to all selected notes.

I'd also like to be able to drag or paste a set of notes from one fretboard to another (doesn't seem possible today).
    Last edited by spinality; 05-26-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    -- Trevor

The problem with copy/paste of notes is that there's no way to indicate where you want them to end up!

Copying notes and pasting onto a new fretboard, in exactly the same positions, is quite valid though. But pasting onto the same fretboard... I just don't see how it'd know where to put the notes - love to hear if you've got any ideas on that!

I'd also like to be able to drag or paste a set of notes from one fretboard to another (doesn't seem possible today).
    Cloning onto another fretboard would make sense. However would have to cater for the case where the fretboards are different sizes.. could only be done by preserving the relative positions of the notes. And what about horizontal/vertical?!

Would be nice if the drag/pasted notes remained selected after dropping them; then I could change their color etc. en masse.
    Good point - something for the list!

Also nice if I could change shape (triangle, circle, etc.) en masse to all selected notes.
    Hmm I think this'd need the style to be exposed as a property in the Inspector...?
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    no way to indicate where you want them to end up!
    Well drag and drop is the most natural way to transfer them. The logical thing for an actual paste operation is to place them at the same relative position, and leave them selected. Then you could drag them where you want them. This is like what usually happens when you paste a graphic in a document: it goes at the same position relative to the page, column, frame, etc. Another approach would be to use the mouse as the anchor for the (say) top left note. Again, if they stay selected, they could then be moved. A final idea would be for a set of 'ghost' notes to appear at the mouse position, like the grey boxes when you drag/clone, which don't actually get placed until you click the mouse or do something else.

Copying notes and pasting onto a new fretboard, in exactly the same positions, is quite valid though.
    That's the most useful operation, clearly.

But pasting onto the same fretboard... I just don't see how it'd know where to put the notes - love to hear if you've got any ideas on that!
    One approach would be to enter the middle of a clone operation. The grey boxes show up, which you drag to position and then place using some appropriate gesture. Another would be to anchor it at the mouse position. Another would be to pop up a dialogue that says: "shift by [select number] frets and [select number] strings" -- so I could take an arpeggio and duplicate it two octaves lower.

the case where the fretboards are different sizes.. could only be done by preserving the relative positions of the notes. And what about horizontal/vertical?!
    Yes, relative strings/frets are intuitively what you'd mean if you say 'copy/paste this shape'. Scale and vertical/horizontal would be irrelevant, you'd want the 2nd fret on the 3rd string to mean the same thing in every case.

Hmm I think this'd need the style to be exposed as a property in the Inspector...?
    YES! Would vastly prefer for note shape to be exposed as a property. Then I could do bulk operations just like setting colors etc.

Thanks Justin. As always, just ignore any you don't like.
    -- Trevor

Hello, I was doing some searching on this topic and see that it is quite old. Has there been any development on this type of feature since 2012? I would like to be able to select notes from a scale and export them to a new fretboard (in same document would be nice). Although, any form of supported copy paste would also work for my needs. For my use case, the notes selected would not need to be placed on different frets, I'm looking to take a chord directly from a position and add it to its own chord diagram.
    Thanks!

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

This is currently under testing with several other features and will be aking a feature in our next major release.

For my use case, the notes selected would not need to be placed on different frets, I'm looking to take a chord directly from a position and add it to its own chord diagram.
    If I'm understanding this correctly then I would simply copy/paste the entire fretboard and then shrink it to the desired fret length. Do let me if I'm not visualising the end goal correctly. But the fretboards with all the note markers can be copied already if that;s new to you.

Thanks
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Hi there and welcome to the forum.

This is currently under testing with several other features and will be aking a feature in our next major release.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    If I'm understanding this correctly then I would simply copy/paste the entire fretboard and then shrink it to the desired fret length. Do let me if I'm not visualising the end goal correctly. But the fretboards with all the note markers can be copied already if that;s new to you.

Thanks
    Dean
    Ah, yeah, my 'newness' to Neck Diagrams is showing. I can definitely make copy/paste of entire fretboard work for my needs. I was attempting to select just the notes I wanted for chord. Just have to modify the new boards for each position. Basically a full fretboard diagram along with chord diagrams for each position on same page.

Thank you!

Thread Information