Hey Folks!

This is something I've been using for a little while now. I think it helps the student to grasp a very basic understanding of the Major scale. There isn't exactly a TON of explanations on the sheet, and that is due to how I generally present information to folks. I prefer to get basic concepts on paper, and then use pencil to further explain things, so that I can easily customize the lesson to each student.

After we've worked out the C Major scale on one string, I have them do it on all six strings. I help the student find the other C notes on the guitar by working their way up from the open string. By the time they've finished this, assuming they've practiced diligently, they'll have a pretty good understanding of how to play the C Major scale, become familiar with the WWHWWWH pattern, and know where the natural notes on the guitar are. One thing that really helps is to have them say/sing the notes out loud. I usually tell students that if they don't say/sing it, it doesn't count!

I'm sure all of you already use something like this, or have some other killer method, for introducing the Major scale to your students. I encourage you to share it in this thread! It would be cool to have one thread full of ideas for first time Major scale lessons.

The Major Scale.fbd