FDA shape system / Fretboard Roadmaps / Herb Ellis

I'm new here, so my apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

I see that CAGED is the default fretboard organizing sytem here. It's a good one and I have no complaints about that. However, is it possible to add another one? I enjoy the "Fretboard Roadmaps" material of Frek Sokolow as well as the "shape system" of jazz guitar legend Herb Ellis. They used 3 main shapes (for major chords): F, D, and A. (For Herb Ellis, the "A" could also be called "G" because the "G" shape and "A" shape share the same partial barre. Herb refers to the shapes by numbers, not letters, but that's another story.)

When using only three shapes, they lay out easily on the neck and connecting them becomes easy soon enough. There's less overlap than with "CAGED" shapes.

Can one program that into Neck Diagrams so that you could get, say, the "F" "D" and "A" shapes of Bb all laid out on one fretboard grid?

Thanks for listening.
    "If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen

Welcome Mark!

TBH I've never heard of this system!

It's not something you would have control over with ND currently, as this is a note layout algorithm that we'd have to program in; WHERE the notes go is obviously different to WHICH notes should be use - if it were the latter then you could do that via the custom interval map feature in the Scale Generator.

But this F/D/A system would be a new option alongside CAGED and Three Note Per String..

We'll raise a ticket to get this implemented, but be warned we've got a long list of goodies queued up already

Actually, do you have any good links which might speed up our research when we get there? Sounds like maybe Herb wrote a book we'd need to get hold of?
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Welcome Mark!

TBH I've never heard of this system!

It's not something you would have control over with ND currently, as this is a note layout algorithm that we'd have to program in; WHERE the notes go is obviously different to WHICH notes should be use - if it were the latter then you could do that via the custom interval map feature in the Scale Generator.

But this F/D/A system would be a new option alongside CAGED and Three Note Per String..

We'll raise a ticket to get this implemented, but be warned we've got a long list of goodies queued up already

Actually, do you have any good links which might speed up our research when we get there? Sounds like maybe Herb wrote a book we'd need to get hold of?
    Thank you for the response.

Herb wrote three books (along these lines): "Swing Blues," "Rhythm Shapes," and "All the Shapes You Are." But maybe a better place to look would be Fred Sokolow's "Fretboard Roadmaps" books. Here's a link to the main one from Amazon. (There are other editions geared more toward rock, blues, jazz, folk, but the basics are the same in all.)

http://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Road...board+roadmaps

I think Sokolow calls it D F A (----if you start on D, its D F A, if you start on F it's F A D and if you start on A its A D F.) There's less overlap than with the CAGED shapes

I love Neck Diagams!
    "If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen

Hi Mark! Good to see you here.

I thought "Fretboard Roadmaps" rang a bell, a kinda deja vu - bit 'fraid not. Turns out just deja-nearly-vu'd, getting confused with the Fretboard Logic book.

But for all I know that could talk about F/D/A too because it's one of many books on the bookshelf that I've never had time to digest

Anyways, ticket is raised so it's in the system and won't get forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rhodes View Post
    I love Neck Diagams!
    VERY happy to hear it Mark!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information