Problem with update check in v1.8 on Windows

Hi,

There's a know issue with the Automatic Update check in v1.8 which is affecting some users running on Windows.

If you're seeing the below message box when you select the Help > Check for Updates menu, then unfortunately you're affected and the automatic update check mechanism won't work for you.

We're working on having this fixed in the 1.9 release, however to make sure you get notified once it's available we strongly suggest you sign up to the Neck Diagrams Newsletter. You'll find the short form to the right-hand side on almost every page of the website, apart from the homepage and the forum. Rest assured we'll never pass on your details, and we only send out emails with important news, such as when there's a new release.

Apologies for the inconvenience - the auto-update mechanism has been a right pain in the posterior!

Justin
    Neck Diagrams Author

How, then, can I check for updates? BTW, love the software

If you want to manually check if there's a new version out (instead of just waiting for the Newsletter announcement!) then you can take a look at the Download page which says what version is currently out - plus the right-hand sidebar has a big "NECK DIAGRAMS 1.8" near the top, which appears on most pages.

There's also the Version History page which gives a run-down of what changed in each version, which has a list of the version numbers at the top but the details first on the page are always for the most recent release.
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Justin, FYI, pertinent log messages (you're no doubt aware of these):

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2012-05-06 10:00:40.440
    !MESSAGE Invalid preference page path: Automatic Updates

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2012-05-06 10:00:40.441
    !MESSAGE Invalid preference page path: Security
    -- Trevor

No, those are red herrings! They're just silly messages from the software platform having a moan that certain preference pages can't be placed in the 'category' it'd like, i.e. position in the list on the left hand side of the preferences window! There doesn't appear to be a way to silence these other than to bend to their will, which i don't want to do!

I think I'll remove the log view menu option as it's not relevant to the average user and logfiles can be accessed via the About window anyway. Will probably leave the key binding so those power users that remember how to invoke it that way can continue to do so!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

LOL never noticed the log display menu option, always got it via Help.About.
    -- Trevor

Hehe! Didn't know it was there? I think I have a good case to remove it then
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

v1.9 was released on 31st May '13 which fixes the auto-update problem.
    To update you'll need to manually download and re-install.

You all probably know that, just saying for the benefit of the Internet
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Justin,
    I've been trying to update to the newest software but keep getting this error message.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 7.50.46 PM.jpg

Hi Nicolas,

Looks like you didn't read the text in the update notification
    If you're updating to 1.11.x from 1.10 or older, especially on a Mac, then you want to download from the website Download page and in fact there's a big green Download button on the update notification!

There's more info in this blog post:

Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information