Hybrid View

Searched but didn't find...

Ted Greene style

1. the addition of an X and then the ability to put an X over a round note.

2. If you are familiar with Ted Greene and how he charts out chord melody darkened circle is the first note X is second Sqr is third and we've got more in ND however if we could put an X over an existing note it would mean to play again.

Hi Keith

We've had a couple requests for Ted Green style markers so it's something we've got earmarked for a future version. However, we expect this to instigate requests to allow the X on every hollow marker shape. So it's potentially a bigger piece of work and we're looking into how we can best implement this.

Until then, you can already do this by using using the 'Custom Label' tool and entering and simply entering X as the label.Not quite as nice as the new X marker we have in the pipeline (spoilers) but an acceptable workaround perhaps

1 - First select any notes you want to set to a custom note marker by either holding the SHIFT key and selecting or individually using the Marquee tool

2 - Now press CTRL+I to reveal the Note Inspector and change the Label drop down to Custom. Press ESC to close the Inspector

3 - Right-click one of the note markers which should still be in focus/selected and select Set custom label from the menu

4 - Enter X into the text filed and click ok.

Hopefully that's something you can use in the interim.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Hi Keith

We've had a couple requests for Ted Green style markers so it's something we've got earmarked for a future version. However, we expect this to instigate requests to allow the X on every hollow marker shape. So it's potentially a bigger piece of work and we're looking into how we can best implement this.

Until then, you can already do this by using using the 'Custom Label' tool and entering and simply entering X as the label.Not quite as nice as the new X marker we have in the pipeline (spoilers) but an acceptable workaround perhaps

1 - First select any notes you want to set to a custom note marker by either holding the SHIFT key and selecting or individually using the Marquee tool

2 - Now press CTRL+I to reveal the Note Inspector and change the Label drop down to Custom. Press ESC to close the Inspector

3 - Right-click one of the note markers which should still be in focus/selected and select Set custom label from the menu

Dean
    Very cool. I'll have to look into this work around after the holidays. I would love to see a Ted Greene-influenced template of some sort, which allows you to do something like what is on page 3 of this pdf: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...80Ag80zFAETVzj

Basically, solid circles with options for placing an X over the solid circle, and also the ability to put a square or triangle around the solid circle. I've considered coming up with my own order of symbols, simply based on what's available in Neck Diagrams, but I hate to kind of reinvent the wheel, when such a respected teacher put years into developing this notation system.

Anyway, I do think that you may get some additional ted-fan customer base with the implementation of new features which allow this as a default setting/template of some kind. Is there a timeline for a product version which will allow this?

Hi Matt

Just thought I'd check in post-holidays and see how you got on with the current workaround/alternative. Let us know if you have any questions.

Also thanks for providing a link to the examples.It'll certainly come in handy - there's more to the Ted Greene method than we first realised. Mainly the different shapes around the note makrer as opposed to a shape within the note marker.

Regards
    Dean

Hi Matt

Just thought I'd check in post-holidays and see how you got on with the current workaround/alternative. Let us know if you have any questions.

Also thanks for providing a link to the examples.It'll certainly come in handy - there's more to the Ted Greene method than we first realised. Mainly the different shapes around the note makrer as opposed to a shape within the note marker.

Regards
    Dean
    Thanks for the reply, Dean. It's been a few weeks, but I messed around with it. It's not something that you can set up as templates etc, if I remember correctly. Anyway, probably won't be doing as much with that aspect in the next few weeks, but long-term I'd think it's a winner. In terms of the concept of neck-diagrams-as-stand-alone-notation, Ted Greene and the community surrounding him and his lesson materials has to be the closest thing out there to a standardized format.

Ted had a really highly developed belief that this was the absolute best way to convey this type of music, and put years of his life into making it as practical as possible.

Hi Keith

Dean
    I'm sure it's obvious, but to me, the easiest way to implement would be to let each iteration be its own symbol, rather than somehow altering symbols (like "adding" an X to whatever symbol). A "Ted Greene template" or "palate" of some kind with separate symbols for open circle, filled in circle, X, and diamond. Then, additional separate symbols for the ones with combinations of X or surrounding circles, diamonds etc.

Hi Matt - Thanks for the suggestions. We've taken note and will definitely refer to the details and examples you've provided..

Thanks
    Dean

Thread Information